Wednesday, October 2, 2024

What to expect at MSU Madness and Izzone campout Friday

<p>The men's and women's basketball teams pose for a photo during Michigan State Madness event at the Breslin Center on Oct. 13, 2023. The teams dressed in costumes as part of the Friday the 13th theme.</p>

The men's and women's basketball teams pose for a photo during Michigan State Madness event at the Breslin Center on Oct. 13, 2023. The teams dressed in costumes as part of the Friday the 13th theme.

The annual Michigan State Madness event introducing the men's and women's basketball teams will take place Friday, Oct. 4 at 7 p.m. at Breslin Center.

Gates will open at 6 p.m. and the event will conclude around 9 p.m. Admission is free. 

This year’s MSU Madness will start two and a half hours earlier than recent years, mainly so the Spartan community can watch the MSU-Oregon football game at 9 p.m.

MSU Madness will be a "serious scrimmage," men's head basketball coach Tom Izzo said, to showcase the team’s chemistry and talent.

Izzo said his team has 10 to 11 guys that can match up with one another and his assistant coaches keep track of statistics every practice.

Almost every year, Izzo and the women's coach — now Robyn Fralick — dress up in costumes for MSU Madness. Themes have ranged from Evel Knievel and KISS to The Hulk and astronauts.  

Izzone Campout

The annual Izzone Campout, when Izzo and his players join the students who purchased men’s basketball student section tickets at Munn Field, will follow MSU Madness Friday night.

At the Izzone Campout, these students stay the night in tents at Munn Field.

"I’ll stay there until three or four in the morning," Izzo said. "I have a big day the next day."

Izzo also liked the idea of his players sleeping in tents overnight, since they usually mill around and spend time with the students before heading home.

"It’s an experience of a lifetime," Izzo said.

img-9765

Share and discuss “What to expect at MSU Madness and Izzone campout Friday” on social media.