Wednesday, October 16, 2024

'Rocky Horror Picture Show' performed at Wharton

Rocky Horror Picture Show actors perform in Cobb Great Hall in the Wharton Center on Oct. 15, 2024. This shadow-cast performance was put on by the Michigan Rocky Horror Preservation Society as a part of their 49th Anniversary Spectacular Tour.

In an act that welcomes and encourages self-expression, audience interaction and foul language, "Rocky Horror Picture Show" brought its performance to the Wharton Center for Performing Arts on Tuesday, Oct. 15, in the Cobb Great Hall.

Rocky Horror leaves nothing to the imagination. Characters are dressed in fishnet stockings, short shorts or simply their underwear; putting on such a show is not something that is taken lightly. This specific showing was a shadow-cast performed by the Michigan Rocky Horror Preservation Society.

Jessica Harris currently runs the show, serving as RHPS’s director and board member. Like most of those passionate about Rocky Horror, Harris has a past with the show. Seeing the movie initially on TV, she went to see a live production at the State-Wayne theater, in Wayne, Michigan, where RHPS now calls home. Years later, Harris received a call asking her to join the local cast, and she couldn’t pass that up.

“(Rocky Horror) was life-changing, very affirming, very validating,” Harris said. “It was the right thing that I needed in my life, and I’ve been shadow casting for the past 11 years.”

rockyhorror-101524-as10

Commonly felt with the show are the feelings of affirming identities. This is felt by not just those putting on the show but those attending. In light of this feeling, the Wharton Center Student Marketing Organization hosted a College Night an hour before Rocky Horror.

The event took place in the Christman Lounge and was a more laid-back event to allow students to relax and socialize before the show. Food was provided along with a meet and greet with the shadow cast members playing Brad and Janet. Many of the students who attended were dressed in costumes as well, standard practice with Rocky Horror.

Secondary education sophomore Emily Viskner took part. Dressed as Janet, in a baby pink dress and white cardigan, paired with some frilly white socks and black Mary Jane styles shoes. Viskner was most excited to be able to meet with the cast.

“We heard that you get to meet cast members, which I thought was super cool,” Viskner said. “That’s an opportunity you don’t have a lot, so why not go for it?”

rockyhorror-101524-as4

Along with her excitement to meet the cast, she was excited to be in a community of others who also enjoy the show. Environmental Biology and Zoology freshman Cade Crabbe identifies with this movie and has been a fan, having seen it multiple times before. Crabbe was most looking forward to being able to experience the live performance with a community who is as passionate as he is.

“It’s a queer staple,” Crabbe said. “It’s a fun experience. It brings the community together.”

After a quick photo opportunity and Q&A, students headed down to Cobb and got ready for the show to begin. A brief intro prefaced the encouragement of yelling at the stage and throwing props around the theatre. Barry Bostick came to speak to the audience about his role, playing Brad in the original film.

After Bostick left the stage, a short costume contest was hosted, and then the show began. Audience members got up and danced and threw rolls of toilet paper around the theater, meeting their expectations of a rowdy good time. 

Share and discuss “'Rocky Horror Picture Show' performed at Wharton” on social media.