Wednesday, October 16, 2024

Politics, journalism to intersect at Democracy at a Crossroads

<p>The Wharton Center photographed on Aug. 23, 2019.</p>

The Wharton Center photographed on Aug. 23, 2019.

Democracy at a Crossroads will bring together student journalists and professionals for a night of political discourse. The event will take place in the Wharton Center for Performing Arts’s Pasant Theatre from 4:30–6:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 16.

Free for students, the event will feature a panel style discussion from writers for the publication The Atlantic. The writers selected for this panel are Tim Alberta, Elaine Godfrey, Jemele Hill and Evan Smith.

"I love talking to state school students, especially journalism students," Godfrey said. "We need more of them in journalism."

Godfrey elaborated further on her excitement to be able to talk to and interact with students. What interests her about hearing the student’s perspective comes in part with only talking to voters while following the campaign trail. The other part comes from the controversy in what’s reported this election.

"There’s a lot of disinformation being spread," Godfrey said. "There are some important issues at stake in this election and some important stories that journalists need to be telling."

Godfrey strives to do this in her work and tell the stories that may get missed amidst the storm of election coverage. Director of American Communities Project Dante Chinni is doing similar work, talking to voters and seeing what influences people in a community to vote a specific way.

Chinni conducts this research through the Michigan State University School of Journalism. This allows MSU students to have a chance to become involved in this research and learn about voters as the election approaches.

Chinni worries about students’ perspective on politics. With the past few elections, young voters view politics as "divisive" and "depressing." Chinni remembers what it was like when he was a student aspiring to be a political journalist, and he hopes students now see the value in the profession.

"You’re going to meet a lot of people that see the world really, really different from you," Chinni said. "That’s the value in the work."

This value is seen by international relations and journalism freshman Reiel Ghiglia. Her dream to become a political journalist is what led to her decision to attend Democracy at a Crossroads. Ghiglia is excited to talk and connect with those who have the future she’s working for. She also sees benefit beyond her professional future.

"No matter how much I do research on things, I might miss some important stuff that might have an impact on who I vote for," Ghiglia said. "I feel like it’ll be a good educational event."

Though focused on politics and the perspective of journalists, Democracy at a Crossroads is beneficial for all those planning on voting. Bringing perspective and conversation to issues that have been shaping the 2024 presidential election. It’s important for students of all majors to head to the polls informed.

"It’s really important, especially because we are the next generation," Ghiglia said. "I think it’s really important to be culturally and politically literate right now."

Share and discuss “Politics, journalism to intersect at Democracy at a Crossroads” on social media.