Tuesday, October 8, 2024

MSU pro-Palestine students hold remembrance night to mark year of war in Gaza

<p>Michigan State University students and community members gathered outside Beaumont Tower to attend a night of remembrance hosted by the MSU Students for Justice in Palestine organization, Oct. 7, 2024. The MSU Students for Palestine held a memorial for those who have died in Gaza after conflict in the region escalated, following attacks in Israel one year ago.</p>

Michigan State University students and community members gathered outside Beaumont Tower to attend a night of remembrance hosted by the MSU Students for Justice in Palestine organization, Oct. 7, 2024. The MSU Students for Palestine held a memorial for those who have died in Gaza after conflict in the region escalated, following attacks in Israel one year ago.

Pro-Palestinian students and supporters gathered at Beaumont Tower Monday evening to commemorate one year since the Oct. 7, 2023 Hamas attacks on Israel and reflect on the lives lost in the year since. 

The event, organized by MSU Students for Justice in Palestine (SJP), was meant to serve as a space for attendees to remember and reflect on the more than 40,000 people who have been killed in Gaza and surrounding areas, and to reiterate their demands for MSU to divest from Israel.

More than 100 students and attendees lined up around the tower as many laid down flowers and held Muslim prayers.

Student Life and Engagement Vice President Vennie Gore was the only university administrator to attend tonight’s ceremony, according to event organizers. 

MSU President Kevin Guskiewicz was not in attendance but did attend a remembrance event hosted by MSU Hillel, Spartans for Israel and other campus organizations at the Rock the same evening.

Social relations and policy senior Ateeyah Abdul-Wasi, a member of the Hurriya Coalition, said that while tonight went well, Guskiewicz’s absence was noticed. Abdul-Wasi said the administration’s actions contradict Guskiewicz's earlier messaging on civil discourse.

"The fact that he wasn’t here today taints this image of civil discourse that he tries to paint, and I think it reinforces the fact that he doesn’t actually want to engage in civil discourse," Abdul-Wasi said.

But Abdul-Wasi said that regardless of MSU's actions, the event "was a testament to our commitment to the Palestinian people" and proof that "the community and students will still show up for Palestine and Lebanon, and for all other occupied countries."

240210-bmm-oct7-2006

Pre-med junior Nasim Barghouti, vice president of MSU SJP, said the purpose of tonight’s ceremony is to remember the lives that have been lost in the aftermath of Oct. 7 and the millions of people that have been displaced in the year since.

"Today we are thinking about all of the children, all of the journalists, and medical workers that have passed," Barghouti said.

Barghouti said though he doesn’t have any family or friends who have been injured or killed in Gaza, he knows a lot of people who have those ties.

"Obviously they are in pain, they are hurt and will continue to be hurt," Barghouti said. "There is not a specific date that will give them more pain."

Barghouti reiterated calls for divestment and said the university should release a statement discussing "the Palestinian struggle and the brutality and cruelty that has happened in the past year."

"We want them to show their empathy and sympathy by not just words but actions," Barghouti said. 

Sociology associate professor and SJP faculty adviser Stephen Gasteyer said the Middle East is "wrecked with conflict," and emphasized the need for urgency in ending a cycle of violence. 

"Oct. 7 saw the death of too many people, but then has gone on to be many, many more," Gasteyer said. "What this group has called for again and again is an end to fueling that cycle of violence by our institution and by our government."

Gasteyer called the violence in Gaza and other regions, like Lebanon, "tragic," saying many of those in attendance knew people who were killed in the past year. 

"What we know is that well more than 10,000 children have been killed as of today and that doesn’t even count people in Lebanon," Gasteyer said. "We’re watching a war that is spreading throughout the Middle East in a way that is absolutely terrifying."

240210-bmm-oct7-2014

Social relations and policy junior Ahmed Amir said it’s difficult to put into words the tragedy many around the world and at MSU have witnessed in the past year.

"Seeing this level of tragedy unfold over social media, the graphic images that we see, is heartbreaking and heart-wrenching for anybody," Amir said. "A year later, I think it’s very disheartening that we’re still kind of advocating and screaming and calling for the same thing, like a call for a ceasefire, divestment or an arms embargo."

Amir said the university has been talking "without any real material action backing them up."

"We’ve been calling for divestment for almost 10 months now, and we’ve met with administrators about it, but they meet us in bad faith with no intention of actually considering our demands," Amir said. 

The event started around 9 p.m., with a majority of its time devoted to SJP members and attendees speaking on their experiences from the past year and continuing calls to remember those who have been killed. 

"Tonight, we don’t mourn them, we honor them," said psychology junior Jeneen Daoud, a member of SJP’s social media team. "We keep their names alive by continuing the work for those who lost their lives. We honor them to make sure their stories are not forgotten."

Daoud said tonight's remembrance extends to healthcare workers, journalists and emergency personnel who have been killed helping others survive.

Recent psychology graduate Maya Manuel spoke to the audience about the emotional struggle of having family in Lebanon.

"My entire maternal family is in the south of Lebanon at the moment, and I’ve been on phone calls with my grandmother and every day, her hope has just depleted," Manuel said. "My grandmother is so tired."

Manuel said the past year has been psychological torture due to how frequently she calls to check in with family members in Lebanon.

"Just understand that you are not alone within this," Manuel said. "It’s not easy to take a step out and show up. It’s just proud to look at people and to see your faces, because it’s been so hard to come. Understand that your action and your movement is so incredibly strong. We’re speaking for those who cannot or can no longer."

Toward the conclusion of her remarks, Manuel encouraged those in attendance to take a deep breath, leaving them with words to chant: "We walk together. We step together. We grieve together. We cry together. We don’t do this alone. We won’t do this alone."

At 9:53 p.m., a moment of silence was held in remembrance of those who have died. The event concluded with a prayer. Attendees quietly walked to Cowles House, the residence of president Guskiewicz. Members of SJP laid roses and a banner reading "Divest Now" in front of the door and placed a Palestinian keffiyeh on the door.

img-2300

Share and discuss “MSU pro-Palestine students hold remembrance night to mark year of war in Gaza” on social media.