Thursday, October 3, 2024

Izzo talks improvement, inconsistencies for MSU men's basketball

<p>MSU men&#x27;s basketball head coach Tom Izzo watches the firework show at the Izzone Campout held at Munn Field on Oct. 15, 2021.</p>

MSU men's basketball head coach Tom Izzo watches the firework show at the Izzone Campout held at Munn Field on Oct. 15, 2021.

The offseason for MSU men's basketball has officially become the preseason. 

With less than two weeks until the Spartans' first game of the season, an exhibition at Northern Michigan University, the team has improved in the eyes of head coach Tom Izzo. 

Izzo said in the preseason, the team has faced minor inconsistencies and injuries but practiced well overall. 

From the offseason to the preseason, many players have been practicing in new positions. Izzo said senior guard Jaden Akins has become a leader and players like junior forward Jaxon Kohler, sophomore forward Coen Carr and senior forward Frankie Fidler have shown improvement on both sides of the floor. 

Akins has done a "much better job” this preseason, Izzo said, playing harder and “more like a veteran." Izzo said Akins has been talking to teammates, encouraging them and trying to help them.

“All the things you’d like an upperclassman to do,” Izzo said after practice Tuesday.

Fidler, a highly-touted wing transfer from University of Omaha, has caught Izzo's eye. The 30-year head coach at MSU said the 6-foot-7 Fidler has become one of the his most efficient players and best shooters.

Last season at Omaha, Fidler averaged 20.1 points per game, shooting 45% from the field and 36% from three over 33 games. 

Carr, who Izzo called “not a great shooter,” has gotten “much better defensively" and made meaningful strides this offseason. In the 2023-2024 season, Carr totaled 18 blocks, 18 steals, and 64 rebounds.

Izzo said Kohler is in the best shape he's been in at MSU, consistent on both sides of the court. Last season, Kohler sat until mid January after receiving foot surgery but still played in 21 games, shooting 44% from the field and picking up 11 blocks and 42 rebounds.

As a whole, the Spartans are moving the ball well, rebounding better and playing harder, Izzo said. Players are switching positions. Different lineups are being used. This, Izzo said, is extremely important to practice ahead of their first game.

“People have to learn to play with new bodies,” Izzo said. “And that’s why part of these six weeks is so important.”

Share and discuss “Izzo talks improvement, inconsistencies for MSU men's basketball” on social media.