Tuesday, October 8, 2024

Beneath the surface: Uncovering the underwater hockey club at MSU

<p>Members of the underwater hockey club practice at IM Circle on Oct. 3, 2024. The club originated at MSU in 2003 and participates in tournaments around the country.</p>

Members of the underwater hockey club practice at IM Circle on Oct. 3, 2024. The club originated at MSU in 2003 and participates in tournaments around the country.

Underneath the still surface of the pool at IM Circle, the clatter of sticks and whirring of fins break the silence.

A small, dedicated group of Spartans have dove deep into a sport unknown to many: underwater hockey.

Every Tuesday and Thursday at 8 p.m., the MSU Underwater Hockey Club transforms the calm waters into a battleground where strategy, stamina and skill blend together in an unorthodox way. For the athletes, it’s not just about chasing a puck at the bottom of the pool — it’s about pushing the limits of what teamwork can achieve in an unconventional space.

Club president and games and interactive media sophomore Kevin Koch decided to take the club under his wing this semester.

"So usually, the first question we get is, 'What is underwater hockey?' and mostly, it’s very similar to any team sport, just remove the ice of regular hockey and submerge us down below," Koch said.

underwaterhockey-100324-bs-01

As players glide through the water, it’s easy to see why this sport stands on its own. With every breath held, communication takes on a new level of importance, relying on instinct and silent coordination. Armed with a small stick, snorkels, fins and masks, players dive down to move the puck along the pool floor, battling opponents in an intense, quiet duel. 

"There are a bunch of different positions that people play . . ." Koch said. "The primary difference is you have to learn not only when to pass to teammates, but when to hold your breath and when to cycle with the holding breath."

underwaterhockey-100324-bs-08

Joining a club of this nature would be a step outside comfort zones for most students. Despite this, Koch is adamant in his stance on exploring the uncomfortable aspect of it.

"We say that it’s free to come to try out and (new students) think it’s such a crazy idea, so that’s when they just decide to show up and it’s a sport that’s really easy to pick up because all you need to know is how to swim and how to hold the stick in your hand," Koch said.

underwaterhockey-100324-bs-05

The organization began in 2003 at MSU as a spinoff of the scuba club.

While the club has gained popularity over the years, it was not always an easy-going journey for those keen on the playing the niche sport at MSU.

"It’s been very under wraps, very small and COVID-19 had a lot to do with that," Koch said. "We had less than three members at one time, just keeping the club open, but these past couple years, we’ve only had like 20 members, now we have around 50."

The co-ed club has assisted in growing the sport, with national tournaments played annually. Last year, members traveled to the University of Illinois for an organized bracket.

While it may seem like a casual pastime from the outside, there truly is a deep passion within each member of the club.

"It’s such a family that we have here," Koch said. "Everyone is so close and I knew that I wanted to give back to the sport and the following that I found."

underwaterhockey-100324-bs-02

Share and discuss “Beneath the surface: Uncovering the underwater hockey club at MSU” on social media.