Wednesday, September 18, 2024

Tight win over Washington crucial for MSU men's soccer's morale

<p>Goalkeeper Zac Kelly blocked the game tying penalty kick, which left the score 1-0 on Sept. 13, 2024. This is the first Big10 match-up between the teams, which resulted in a 1-0 win by the Spartans.</p>

Goalkeeper Zac Kelly blocked the game tying penalty kick, which left the score 1-0 on Sept. 13, 2024. This is the first Big10 match-up between the teams, which resulted in a 1-0 win by the Spartans.

The buzz and excitement inside DeMartin Stadium was palpable last Friday as MSU men's soccer opened its conference season with a dramatic win over Washington.

A late run of scares for the Spartans, up 1-0 after a 62nd-minute goal by junior midfielder Jonathan Stout, included a handball shout in the 87th minute. The referee checked the monitor and confirmed the penalty for Washington; it looked like late heartbreak for MSU.

MSU junior goalkeeper Zac Kelly tipped the penalty by Husky fifth year midfielder Peter Kingston wide with an astonishing save.

The crowd roared in anticipation. Kelly's name rung throughout the stadium after his save at full stretch.

The Spartans clinched a win in dramatic fashion in their first conference game of the year against a sound Washington group. MSU is now 2-3-2.

"Sometimes you need the ball to bounce your way to have that belief that solidify what you’re doing. . . really, really happy for the guys," MSU Head Coach Damon Rensing said postgame.

MSU started the game with aggression, encapsulating their eagerness to start the conference season off with a win. In the second minute of play, MSU had a chance in the center of the box but couldn't convert.

The players in green and white were moving with intent, having gone their previous three games winless. This was a moment for the side to make a statement.

The Spartans were forcing error after error from the Huskies. It began to look like MSU could pull off a statement victory.

The first shot on target was by a Washington player as junior midfielder Richie Aman forced a save by Kelly in the 23rd minute at the near post following a shot under pressure.

After an intense, tightly contested half, the crowd watched as a flurry of MSU alumni entered the pitch. The glory days of MSU men's soccer were revisited as the 2004 Big Ten Championship team was honored at halftime.

MSU continued their domination by setting up shop in the Washington box, with Stout having two opportunities in quick succession blocked in the 51st minute.

Perhaps the moment of the night came in the 62nd as Stout picked up the ball at midfield before guiding an effort into the top corner.

MSU freshman defender Brandon Munson executed an astonishing clearance off the line with a bicycle kick in the 65th minute. The acrobatic effort was featured as the number one pick on ESPN SportsCenter's Top Ten Plays Saturday morning.

It was a statement clearance. When MSU surrendered a quick response goal against Air Force Sep. 6, questions were asked of the team defensively. Not this time around.

“We just played together. Our defense was really connected,” Rensing said.

As the full-time whistle blew, the feeling of relief was evident across the stadium. The Red Cedar Rowdies let their presence be felt.

“It’s huge for the confidence of the players. I think these types of wins can potentially change seasons,” Rensing said.

MSU will play at Penn State Friday, Sep. 20 at 7 p.m.

With the dramatic win, MSU have not only kicked off its conference campaign with a victory, but established a sense of purpose, showing it belonged against a good team. 

Share and discuss “Tight win over Washington crucial for MSU men's soccer's morale” on social media.