Friday, September 20, 2024

No. 5 MSU women's soccer defeats Nebraska 4-1, remains unbeaten

<p>MSU graduate student midfielder Justina Gaynor (18) runs to kick the ball at Demartin Stadium on Sept. 19, 2024. The Michigan State University Spartans defeated the University of Nebraska Huskers 4-1 during the Spartans' first home conference match of the year.</p>

MSU graduate student midfielder Justina Gaynor (18) runs to kick the ball at Demartin Stadium on Sept. 19, 2024. The Michigan State University Spartans defeated the University of Nebraska Huskers 4-1 during the Spartans' first home conference match of the year.

Against its fellow Big Ten regular season champion last fall, MSU women's soccer cruised to a 4-1 victory Thursday night.

After scoring first, No. 5-ranked MSU led Nebraska for all but a minute and 30 seconds in what was another complete, 90-minute performance for head coach Jeff Hosler and the surging Spartans. 

MSU improved to 7-0-2 on the season and 2-0 in the Big Ten as it continues its hunt for a third consecutive Big Ten title. On Thursday night at DeMartin Stadium, the Spartans scored at least four goals for the third time in nine matches.  

After their Big Ten home opener, the Spartans remain undefeated. 

"I challenged our group," Hosler said postgame. "Some of these home matches – we left some points on the table with a draw against Xavier, Arkansas and late against Loyola."

wsoccer-091924-as16

MSU routed Maryland 5-0 on the road last week in its Big Ten opener. Hosler made just one change to that side Thursday, bringing in freshman midfielder Kaleigh McPherson for graduate midfielder Emily Mathews.

The match also saw MSU sophomore defender Renee Watson make her return to DeMartin after spending time at the U20 World Cup with the Canadian National Team. Hosler highlighted Watson's return, praising her attacking play.

"She was really good in tight spaces, combined well, and she gave us really dangerous play down the left flank," Hosler said. 

The tactical matchup was another familiar scenario for Hosler and MSU as they encountered a low-block setup. The Huskers established their game plan early with two banks of four, looking to absorb pressure and hit MSU on the break. 

Nebraska’s approach worked early, producing a number of counterattacks, but failed to yield anything opportunity-wise.

As the match settled, MSU began to work itself into the game with a few clever moments from graduate midfielders Gabby Mueller and Meg Hughes, who both found themselves in a handful of dangerous positions around the 18-yard box. In the 20th minute, the Spartans opened the scoring through the pair, following a brilliant first-time pass from Mueller on the top of the box to slip in Hughes, who had the composure necessary to put MSU in front. The goal was Hughes' fourth in four matches.

wsoccer-091924-as7a

Momentum began to favor the home team following the goal. MSU started to put pressure on to Nebraska's 18-yard box, creating chance after chance, primarily through the right flank with smart play from junior defender Sofia Beerworth, who continuously found herself with space to take.

As the first half rolled to a close, Nebraska suddenly found a way back into the match through a screamer of a half-volley from junior midfielder Sadie Waite in the 42nd minute. It was MSU's first goal conceded to a non-ranked opponent this season.

Two minutes after Nebraska earned the equalizer, Mathews lofted an approach into the back of the net.

Nebraska pushed out of its shell in the second half, forcing MSU to send numbers forward. A 4-2-4 adjustment to Nebraska’s shape caused problems at first for the Spartans as ball progression became tougher across the backline.

Hosler then reintroduced McPherson, who broke down Nebraska’s press. Hosler was pleased with what the freshman brought Thursday, pointing to her remarkable ahead-of-schedule composure as a midfielder.

“It's not often you can have a freshman midway through the first year going to settle the game down against an opponent with the press and athleticism Nebraska have,” Hosler said.

McPherson's play tipped the momentum back in favor of the Spartans, who began to dominate possession yet continued to struggle in the final third.

wsoccer-091924-as4a

The Huskers continuously found themselves under pressure due to the numbers they earlier pushed forward. MSU pounced on the opportunity.

In the 70th minute, senior forward Jordyn Wickes found herself alone in the Nebraska final third before tucking home a third Spartan goal. And in the 79th minute, sophomore defender Ella Janz added a fourth from 20 yards out, her second goal in two games.

MSU returns to play Sept. 22 on the road at No. 9 Penn State for its most important game remaining on the schedule. Kickoff is scheduled for 2 p.m. Big Ten Network will air the game.

Share and discuss “No. 5 MSU women's soccer defeats Nebraska 4-1, remains unbeaten” on social media.