Wednesday, September 18, 2024

ASMSU speaks with president, passes bills on name removal, new referendum

<p>The Associated Students of Michigan State University General Assembly met on Sept. 12, 2024 to discuss bills to pass. The ASMSU General Assembly is a legislative body of college-elected representatives from different colleges, organizations, and councils on the Michigan State University campus.</p>

The Associated Students of Michigan State University General Assembly met on Sept. 12, 2024 to discuss bills to pass. The ASMSU General Assembly is a legislative body of college-elected representatives from different colleges, organizations, and councils on the Michigan State University campus.

The Associated Students of Michigan State University spoke with President Kevin Guskiewicz at their General Assembly meeting last night, before passing bills to open more seats, stream meetings via Instagram and advocate to remove Justin Morrill's name from MSU's Agricultural Hall. 

Presentation from president 

The meeting began with a brief presentation from Guskiewicz discussing matters early on in the semester. He began by acknowledging the over 11,000 new students — first-years and transfers — and said this will be the largest incoming class in the history of MSU.

Guskiewicz also emphasized the importance of the MSU 2030 Strategic Plan, saying he will be reviewing it over the coming months and announcing changes to it early in spring semester.

He then moved toward a conversation on civil discourse in light of the instances of discrimination and harassment on campus earlier this month.  

"Everybody that’s earned their place here at Michigan State University deserves to be here,” Guskiewicz said. “We will hold those individuals accountable."

When questions were opened up for Guskiewicz, Asian Pacific American Student Organization Rep. Alexandra Pham asked if he thought that hate speech is free speech.

Guskiewicz responded "Most hate speech is in fact protected speech. I know it can be painful to many people at times, but hate speech can become a hate crime, which is not protected when there is action accompanying that speech. It's something we need to better educate our community around."  

asmsuga9-12-1

Then the conversation shifted toward the topic of divestment, which the GA passed a bill in support of last year. Muslim Student Association Rep. Amaan Abdul Mohl asked for an update on discussions about MSU’s divestment from weapons manufacturers. 

Guskiewicz said the board continues to review its investment policy and that there will be a decision regarding a modification of the policy by the end of the semester. 

With Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel closing the investigation on documents relating to MSU's handling of disgraced ex-MSU doctor Larry Nassar this week, students also had questions about the university's next steps. Vice President for Internal Administration Kathryn Harding asked Guskiewicz how MSU will ensure that survivors are supported going forward and guarantee institutional transparency. 

"Those voices are important to us," Guskiewicz said. "I have spoken with survivors who have reached out to me, and I've reached out to others to provide opportunities for them to come and talk about their experiences and how this community can learn from that."

Bill to add voting seats

Bill 61-11 proposes that a referendum be added to the fall 2024 undergraduate student elections ballot asking if the GA should add four representative seats for each class council, which would be elected by the respective class. 

Currently, each class council has an elected individual who attends GA meetings to relay information to their class council members but has no legislative power in the GA. This bill would provide voting power to those representatives. 

James Madison College Rep. Genevieve Lucas introduced the bill by saying that this would offer more representation within the student body and cover areas where students may not be receiving proper representation. 

Vice President of Finance and Operations Delaney Jones expressed support for the bill. She said class councils would be given more legitimacy if they were allowed to vote in the GA, and it would make them more well-rounded.

Jewish Student Union Rep. Zach Nessel expressed concern for the bill. He said he was unsure if the process to elect a class council representative solely through the respective council and not the entire student body could fully represent an entire student body class.

Associate Vice President of Internal Administration Madaline Hanes also expressed support for the bill.

"I’ve been in class council for one year," Hanes said. "We just have no actual avenue to get any of these changes made. We can go and ask representatives that are elected to maybe bring up a proposal, but that's very difficult when it comes to a freshman and a freshman class council reaching out to general assembly members."

Bill 61–11 passed with 19 in favor, one dissenting and three abstentions.

Bill for additional meeting livestreams

Currently ASMSU GA meetings are only broadcasted through Facebook Live. Bill 61-16 would allow for meetings to be streamed via Instagram as well. 

Residential College of Arts and Humanities Rep. Abigail Rodriguez introduced the bill. She said ASMSU gets more engagement on Instagram than Facebook. Allowing meetings to be streamed through Instagram would also make them more accessible for students, Rodriguez said.

The bill passed with a voice majority and one abstention.

Bill to remove name from building

Bill 61-17 would reintroduce advocacy on the previously proposed Bill 57-72. This involves advocating for the removal of Justin S. Morrill’s name from the Morrill Hall of Agriculture and removal of his name from other Big Ten campuses. 

Morrill was a senator from Vermont who passed a land grant act that displaced millions of indigenous people across the country.

This bill was introduced by North American Indigenous Student Organization Rep. Kaylin Casper.

Casper said the timing of this bill is essential as well, as the Naming Committee will hold a meeting on Sept. 24. 

Rep. Nessel said he wanted to have a discussion about Morrill before rushing to condemn the individual. 

Rep. Casper said, "I am native Anishinaabekwe, I’m representing my own community, not just me. He was harmful because his actions led to forceful dispossession, which is why I want his name removed."

Black Students’ Alliance Rep. Missy Chola also expressed support for the bill.

"I don't believe that it is on us to speak on (rebut) something like this," Chola said. "If that community has said that this is something that makes them feel the way it makes them feel, it is for us to support them and to be there for them and to vote with them."

The bill passed with a voice majority, with one abstention.

Resignation and new RideShare app

Vice President of Government Affairs Josie Danielkiewicz resigned from her position, after the demands of her classes and other obligations were too much to meet.

"If there were enough hours in the day for me to maintain my grades, be VPGA, and do all my other leadership roles successfully, believe me I would do it all," she said. "I have a deep love for government and advocacy and have devoted my undergraduate career to these pursuits. This decision wasn’t easy, but it is necessary."

Additionally, ASMSU announced that the program SafeRide will be using a new app starting on Friday. This program offers transportation for students at night and runs from 8 p.m. to 1:30 a.m., seven days a week.

Share and discuss “ASMSU speaks with president, passes bills on name removal, new referendum” on social media.