Friday, August 2, 2024

Heavy rains and flooding in East Lansing leaves residents without a home

The heavy rain on Tuesday night in East Lansing has residents scrambling as basements and roads are flooded with multiple inches of water. The heavy rains and storms that most of the Midwest is experiencing are due to Hurricane Beryl, which struck the Caribbean Sea on Tuesday, July 2.

The heavy rain on Tuesday night in East Lansing has residents scrambling as basements and roads are flooded with multiple inches of water.

The heavy rains and storms that most of the Midwest is experiencing are due to Hurricane Beryl, which struck the Caribbean Sea on Tuesday, July 2.

Neighborhoods and roads in East Lansing were flooded, as were apartment complexes such as The Quarters located on Abbot Road, whose parking lot flooded with some cars completely submerged.

Biology senior and East Lansing resident Madison Enviya said she and her roommates looked out their window and saw the entire street in front of their house had flooded up to the porch steps. When they saw a few puddles in their basement, they began grabbing towels.

“We went upstairs to go get more towels, and all of sudden, more water came rushing in,” Enviya said. “Both me and (her roommate) started yelling it got worse, and all of a sudden, the wall came down.”

The water had created a sinkhole at the front of their house and caused the front wall of the house to cave in, Enviya said. Mud and water then poured into the basement.

4

“We’ve lived there for a year, and we experienced little puddles maybe, but never to this extent,” Enviya said. “Even the contractors said they’ve never seen anything like this.”

Enviya said since the breaker room is in their basement, they knew there was a risk of electrocution if they didn’t act fast. Now, the group is without a home.

“We don’t really have a house, we can’t live there anymore, so these past couple of days have really just been retrieving our stuff,” Enviya said. “We’re crashing with one of our friends at his apartment right now.”

Construction management senior Kadin Jacobs lives in East Lansing. He said he was at home by himself, letting his dog outside when the rain initially hit.

“As I was walking downstairs to put my dog in his crate, I had four inches of water rushing in,” Jacobs said. “I was running around like crazy trying to get all of my stuff elevated off the floor."

3

Jacobs said the water started coming out of his shower drain and was backed up from the city dealing with the flooding. He said the water drained in 30 minutes and his basement flooded because the city’s water pipes were full and don't have the infrastructure to handle that amount of water.

“It was all black water, which is sewage, storm drainage and everything, so the water is not clean at all,” Jacobs said. “It wasn’t rainwater like a lot of people’s houses probably were."

Jacobs said his room doesn’t typically flood, but sometimes water seeps into his wall and the basement. The landlord told him it happened once before about 10 years ago, but Jacobs had no prior warning.

dsc8686

Reports of warm water in the Atlantic will also affect hurricane season, meaning mid-season hurricane storms may occur earlier than usual, and the Midwest will see the remnants of those storms.

Members of East Lansing’s community should prepare for more rain as another flood warning is in effect for the Red Cedar River, according to an email sent out by MSU. Other areas that may be affected include sidewalks and bike paths along the Red Cedar River, Kellogg Center, Spartan Statue and active construction sites on campus. The peak is predicted to be Friday around noon and the river is predicted to crest at 7.1 inches.

The City of East Lansing was not available for comment at the time of publication. 

dsc8694

Share and discuss “Heavy rains and flooding in East Lansing leaves residents without a home” on social media.