Tuesday, July 2, 2024

MSU Hockey's Artyom Levshunov taken second overall in NHL Draft

<p>Freshman defenseman Artyom Levshunov prepares for a Spartans vs. Broncos face off to start the period in a game against Western Michigan at Centene Ice Center on March 29, 2024.</p>

Freshman defenseman Artyom Levshunov prepares for a Spartans vs. Broncos face off to start the period in a game against Western Michigan at Centene Ice Center on March 29, 2024.

As the second overall pick in the 2024 National Hockey League draft, the Chicago Blackhawks chose Michigan State University Hockey’s freshman defenseman Artyom Levshunov. 

“I was a little nervous, and I was thinking (Chicago Blackhawks) could pick me, and it happened and I’m happy,” Levshunov said

The articulate Belarusian blue liner was a top defensive player for the Spartans during his freshman season, helping lead the team to an appearance in the NCAA Tournament, as well as earning Big Ten Freshman of the Year and Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year. He skated in a pair with MSU hockey’s former captain Nash Nienhuis .

Levshunov continued his decorated freshman campaign by earning Second Team All-American Honors, as well as a spot on the All-Big Ten first team and All-Freshman team .

“We’re proud of Arty and how hard he has worked for this moment,” head coach Adam Nightingale said. “It’s a dream come true for a young hockey player to experience what he did tonight. We’re incredibly thankful for what he’s done for our program the last year and looking forward to watching his continued development .”

Levshunov played high minutes during his freshman season, posting a nine goal and 35 point season, leading the team in assists with 26. The defenseman was just two points shy of a record breaking season for most points by a freshman defenseman in MSU hockey history. He played in all 38 games of the regular season, also tacking on every game in the postseason

He is now the highest selected Spartan in the NHL draft in 36 years, the last being current Carolina Hurricanes head coach Rod Brind’Amour in 1986 at ninth overall to the St. Louis Blues. He is now the twelfth first round selection in program history, along with two current teammates, junior forward Isaac Howard (Tampa Bay Lightning) as well as incoming transfer student, sophomore forward Charlie Stramel (Minnesota Wild ).

With the pick being set in the books, there are future decisions to make. Levshunov, as well as his family and the coaching staff from both the Chicago Blackhawks organization and Michigan State, will go into further discussion about his return for a sophomore season

Unlike other professional sports drafts, in hockey, a player is allowed to go back to college or to their respective teams. For the time being, or until they are ready to sign their contract, the news on his return will be discussed and announced at a later time .

“All day I was thinking about the draft and where I will be,” Levshunov said. “It was a simple day for me, I just came to the draft and I was drafted. Life goes on right, the world goes on. I am so excited to be a part of (the) Blackhawks .”

As well as Levshunov going second, another current Spartan and two future players in the program were also selected on day two .

Up and coming sophomore defenseman, Patrick Geary was selected late in the sixth round at 172 overall to the Buffalo Sabres. Geary is a Buffalo native, drafted by his hometown team, and is a product of the Buffalo Junior Sabres Program. The New York Blue Liner had five goals and eight assists and played 32 of 38 games .

He scored the game winning goal of the Big Ten Championship game in sudden death overtime against in-state rival University of Michigan. Geary now also joins sophomore teammate Maxim Štrbák, who was drafted 45th overall  by the Sabres in the 2023 draft .

Two future Spartans, products of the United States National Team Development Program, were also taken in the seventh round of the draft. Both Michigan products, forward Lucas Van Vliet was drafted at 197 overall to the Vegas Golden Knight, the first Spartan player to be drafted by the team, and forward Austin Baker who was taken by his hometown team, the Detroit Red Wings, at 203 overall .

Baker joins the team alongside sophomore netminder Trey Augustine who was drafted in the second round in 2023 and senior forward Red Savage, who was drafted by the Red and White in 2021

Share and discuss “MSU Hockey's Artyom Levshunov taken second overall in NHL Draft” on social media.