Rocket Fizz moves to downtown East Lansing

<p>The Rocket Fizz soda fridge on Feb. 22, 2024.</p>

The Rocket Fizz soda fridge on Feb. 22, 2024.

Candy and soda chain Rocket Fizz may be new to Grand River Avenue, having opened early February, but it isn’t new to the Lansing area.

Rocket Fizz owner Mike Pitsch said that foot traffic has increased since the store's relocation to downtown East Lansing

“This used to be in Eastwood Towne Center,” Pitsch said. “It’s been a lot busier for sure (since moving). We have twice the amount of space and … a larger variety of items, like more Japanese and European candy.”

The Rocket Fizz in East Lansing sells 514 different sodas, ranging from Leninade to Warhead Sours, but Pitsch said they hope to add more to their collection. The store also sells toys and novelty items, such as magnets, wall signs and posters of pop culture references and snarky sayings. Pitsch said many college students buy these decorations for their living spaces.

“(Rocket Fizz) is something new for students to do,” Pitsch said. “It’s pretty different from the bar and restaurant scene in the rest of East Lansing.”

dsc00352

Pitsch said he hopes to update the Rocket Fizz website and expand their social media presence to engage with more customers. He also wants to provide gift bags for delivery, which he believes would be popular during finals weeks at MSU.

Digital storytelling freshman Alex Gutowski has visited Rocket Fizz three times since it opened in East Lansing. Having known of Rocket Fizz from locations in other states, he was excited to learn of the chain coming near campus.

“I heard that it moved from a mall in Lansing, but I didn’t hear that until they actually moved,” Gutowski said. “It makes sense – Grand River has probably the most foot traffic out of anywhere.”

dsc00360

Gutowski said he appreciates the close location, as he can easily walk to Rocket Fizz after his classes.

“There’s some things that Target doesn't have but Rocket Fizz does – more unique things, more variety,” he said. “I think it’s a cool store. It’s a nice area. (Pitsch) was really nice and really helpful.”

Journalism sophomore Ian Marshall visited Rocket Fizz on a whim.

dsc00350

“I thought it was pretty unique, seeing a candy store in East Lansing,” he said. “I never thought East Lansing would have a candy store, but this was a nice surprise, seeing a variety of candies and sodas. It was a lot to take in, but it was pretty cool.”

Marshall said he would “for sure” go back to Rocket Fizz. Next time, he would take his parents.

“I think they would really like the atmosphere,” Marshall said.

Share and discuss “Rocket Fizz moves to downtown East Lansing” on social media.