MSU women's basketball looks for second win against Purdue on the season

<p>Michigan State graduate student guard No. 22 Moira Joyner speaks with head coach Robyn Fralick at the Crisler center in Ann Arbor on Feb. 18, 2024. Michigan State secured a season sweep of the rival Wolverines, breaking a two-game losing streak in the process.</p>

Michigan State graduate student guard No. 22 Moira Joyner speaks with head coach Robyn Fralick at the Crisler center in Ann Arbor on Feb. 18, 2024. Michigan State secured a season sweep of the rival Wolverines, breaking a two-game losing streak in the process.

Coming off the team's first season sweep against its in-state rival, the University of Michigan, since the 2018-2019 season, Michigan State women’s basketball will have another road game against Purdue University on Wednesday, Feb. 21. They are looking for yet another season sweep against a Big Ten team. 

The upcoming meeting between the Spartans and the Boilermakers is the second and final of the season. Earlier in the season, Michigan State won the first matchup 97-70 at the Breslin Center in dominating fashion; five Spartans finished with double-digit points.

Since then, the Spartans now hold a record of 18-7 overall and 8-6 in the Big Ten while the Boilermakers are 11-14 overall and 4-10 in Big Ten play. The Spartans lead the series at the Breslin Center 25-16 while the Boilermakers lead the series back in West Lafayette 23-11, however, the Spartans have won three straight games in West Lafayette. Overall, Purdue tops the series 44-38 over Michigan State in total games played.

The Boilermakers are led by head coach Katie Gearlds who is in her third season with the program. In the Big Ten, Purdue is ranked second in free throw percentage (.778) and ninth in scoring defense and gives up an average of 69.5 points per game. The Boilermakers’ lead scorer is fifth-year guard Abbey Ellis, who is averaging 14.6 points per game. 

With only four games remaining in the regular season, Michigan State will need to continue to be aggressive on offense. The Spartans have excelled offensively against the Boilermakers in the first matchup and over the last couple of weeks against other Big Ten teams. The Spartans are coming off a road win and need to keep the same mentality throughout the entire game against Purdue.

The Spartans and Boilermakers will tip-off on Wednesday, Feb. 21 at 7 p.m in West Lafayette. The matchup will also be streamed on Big Ten Plus.

Share and discuss “MSU women's basketball looks for second win against Purdue on the season” on social media.