MSU women's basketball falls short to No. 14 Indiana 94-91 in intense road battle

<p>Michigan State Women’s Basketball team takes on Purdue at the Breslin Center in East Lansing on Jan. 24, 2024. MSU waits on a foul call. </p>

Michigan State Women’s Basketball team takes on Purdue at the Breslin Center in East Lansing on Jan. 24, 2024. MSU waits on a foul call.

Michigan State women's basketball fell short to the No. 14 Indiana Hoosiers on Thursday night 94-91 in a nail-biting finish on the road. The Spartans now hold a record of 17-6 overall and 7-5 in the Big Ten Conference, along with a 3-4 record away. Coming into the game, the Hoosiers were 11-0 in home games and now still hold a perfect record after they clinched a win. Before the game, both teams were on a four-game winning streak against multiple Big Ten opponents. 

Junior guard DeeDee Hagemann and graduate guard Julia Ayrault were key contributors to Michigan State's offense as Hagemann recorded 19 points, 10 assists and two rebounds while Ayrault recorded 25 points and four rebounds.

With these great performances, Michigan state head coach Robyn Fralick said Hagemann and Ayrault played great and the team just needs to continue pushing forward in the season following the loss.

“I thought they played really well,” Fralick said. “I love the way were competing. We’re in tough environments, this is our third game we’ve played against a top team in our league on the road. Like I told the team, when you’re close you got to stick with it because every time you get better you get closer and closer.”

Three other Spartans also recorded double figures in points: graduate guard Moira Joiner scored 14 points, sophomore guard Theryn Hallock recorded 13 points and graduate guard/forward Tory Ozment tallied up 11 points

With the game coming down to the wire, Fralick expressed how proud she was with the team’s grit and fight.

“I thought we played our hearts out,” Fralick said. “I loved our effort; I was really proud of our fight. I mean, (we were) a few possessions away from being on the other side of it. Things that we’ll get to learn but I’m really proud of the way we competed.”

Preparing for the upcoming game against No. 5 Ohio State, who the Spartans played earlier in the season and fell short 70-65, Fralick said the team will have to focus more and get ready to play a top-ranked team.

“We have tons of games left; we have tons of conference games left,” Fralick said. “We’ve got a top five team coming in, (I) hope we can get a lot of fans out. We got another really good opponent in front of us we’ll have to dial in and get ready for them.”

Michigan State women’s basketball will be taking on Ohio State at the Breslin Center on Sunday Feb. 11 at 4 p.m. and the game will also be streamed on Peacock

Share and discuss “MSU women's basketball falls short to No. 14 Indiana 94-91 in intense road battle ” on social media.