Netminder Jon Mor plays in first career MSU hockey game

MSU alternate goalie Jon Mor raises his glove hand in celebration at the conclusion of MSU’s victory over Notre Dame. The Spartans will play the Fighting Irish again on Sunday, March 5, 2023.

As the clock wound down in the final period and the Spartans continued domination over the US National Team Development Program, senior goaltender Jon Mor received a tap on the shoulder from associate head coach Jared DeMichiel. After spending four hardworking years at MSU, DeMichiel told Mor to "get ready."

With freshman goalie Luca Di Pasquo taking the starting goalie job while freshman netminder Trey Augustine worked for gold at the International Ice Hockey Federation (IIHF) World Juniors, third string goalie Mor had an inkling he would possibly get his chance, and during the media timeout in the third, Mor skated onto the ice for his MSU hockey debut against his former program. 

"I haven’t felt anything like that in a long time," Mor said post game. "I’m pretty emotional about it. It’s been a hard four years, but it makes it all worth it."

After playing with Michigan State for a long four years, through numerous coaching and goalie changes, Mor had his chance to shine and help his team succeed in a 5-2 victory over the program. Mor made three important saves during his time between the pipes to solidify the win for MSU. 

Between the goaltenders, the energy and competitiveness comes in at a rampant speed. Di Pasquo described the match-ups with ease following the game between him, Augustine and Mor.

"It’s a warzone out there," Di Pasquo said. "Everyone’s going pretty hard, so it's great for development. He (Augustine) is pushing me, I'm trying to push him, especially in smaller games, so it’s really good."

With the endless hours of work Mor has put in at the rink, Di Pasquo recognized him as one of the hardest working people he knows, and always being a support system to the team no matter the outcome of the games.

"It’s unbelievable," Di Pasquo said. "That guy showed up every day and works his butt off, never complains, and the boys couldn’t be more happy for him."

Mor said one of the greatest things is the bond the team has. Experiencing such a close knit bond with everyone and having the support system among the highs and lows that have come through his four years as a Spartan has been impactful.

"I’ve been on both sides a lot," Mor said. "Just coming to the rink is a pleasure in the morning, whether you play or not. Just a smile on your face, they treat you unbelievable, and I can’t say a bad thing about this place if I tried."

Taking a look back on the game, head coach Adam Nightingale gave great compliments toward Mor and his work ethic, and the special feeling for him to be able to have his opportunity to back the guys in the green and white. And the feeling of a win and a hugs at the end of the game from the supportive team was a perfect ending for an extremely well played game.

"When I look at that ending, it was a pretty special night for our guys and for (Jon) Mor to get in," Nightingale said. "He is a guy that does it right every single day, and I never want to take that for granted. I think that the toughest position on our team is to be a third goalie, but he brings a great attitude, he’s got a great sense of humor, our guys love him, and for him to go in and get a chance to play ... I thought it was awesome."

The Spartans will look for their second win of 2024 on Jan. 12 when they take on the Penn State Nittany Lions at Penn State, hunting for their first Big Ten win of 2024 and looking to keep up their strong lead in the conference for first place.

Share and discuss “Netminder Jon Mor plays in first career MSU hockey game” on social media.