Saldate, Terrill pins see MSU wrestling continue unbeaten start to season

The Michigan State Spartans took on the Northwestern Wildcats at Jenison Field House on Friday, Feb. 11, 2021.

The Spartans continued their unbeaten start to the season as they convincingly defeated Ohio University by a score of 30-11 to secure their second win in as many days. 

The night started off in the 125 lbs Division with 38-ranked redshirt junior Tristan Lujan (12-6) facing off against 159th-ranked freshman Ryan Meek (4-10) of the Bobcats.

The first points of the match fell in Lujan's favor as he secured a takedown halfway through the first period to take an early three-point lead. The final action of the first period ended with a late Meek escape.

The second period saw Lujan earn an early escape point from the advantage positions, but he was unable to secure a takedown while dominating the exchanges in the 2nd period. The third period saw Meek secure another escape point. However, Lujan took advantage of the neutral position securing his second takedown with just under a minute of the third period to take home the decision victory by a score of 7-2.

180th-ranked redshirt sophomore Andrew Hampton represented the Spartans again in the 133 lbs division as he faced off against 115th-ranked redshirt freshman Mason Brugh (3-7) of the Bobcats. 

The first period saw no points scored, but Hampton nearly secured a takedown late in the first period. In the second period, Brugh managed an early escape to go up a point. Hampton quickly shot for a takedown but was unable to secure it before rolling out of bounds.

The third period only saw 14 seconds of action before head coach Roger Chandler challenged a call over Brugh using locked hands. Following the challenge, Hampton took the lead through a reversal before Brugh escaped to leave the score at 2-2 as the pair headed into overtime. Brugh secured the victory 50 seconds into overtime as the Bobcats tied the meet-up at three a piece.

The 141 lbs division saw 29th-ranked redshirt senior Jordan Hamdan (13-3) face junior Aidan Waszak (0-6). Hamdan asserted himself early with a takedown in the first 45 seconds. As the final action of the first period saw Waszak close the gap to 3-2 following an illegal move by Hamdan and an escape from Waszak.

In the second period, Hamdan took complete control of the match following up an early escape with a takedown in the first 40 seconds of the period to take a 7-4 lead. The third period saw Hamdan take an early 8-4 lead with an escape before ending the match with his third takedown of to win the decision 11-4 as Michigan State took a 7-3 lead. 

The 158th-ranked redshirt freshman Braden Stauffenberg (5-8) was up next for the Spartans in the 149 lbs division as he faced 52nd-ranked redshirt freshman Derek Raike (12-6). The first period saw Raike lead the dance, but he was unable to finish two different takedown attempts as he fell up out of bounds both attempts.

Raike earned an escape point just five seconds into the second period following with a takedown and Raike quickly found himself with a 4-0 lead just moments into the second period. Stauffenberg managed to earn an escape point of his own, but Raike reasserted himself moments later with his second takedown as he took a controlling 7-1 lead into the final period. The third period saw much of the same for Raike as he secured his third takedown of the match to give himself a 10-2 lead that he rode out to a 10-3 decision victory. 

The Spartans captain 22nd-ranked senior Chase Saldate (12-3) took the mat next in the 157 lbs division facing off against 15th-ranked           sophomore Peyten Kellar (9-2).

Saldate instantly shot for a takedown finishing it just seconds into the first period to take a convincing 3-0 lead. Saldate dominated the advantage position threatening a pin but would only come away with a four-point near fall. 

Following the reset, Saldate secured another effortless takedown finishing the pin off this time with just under 30 seconds left in the first period as the Spartans took a 13-7 lead into the break. Saldate continued his scintillating form with this pin securing his second first-round pin in as many days.

After the match Chandler had nothing but praise to give his captain highlighting his willingness to go for bonus points.

“He’s a ring leader …  he’s one of the best guys in America it’s invaluable what he brings to our team,” Chandler said. “In order for us to have team success, somebody has to get bonus points, and he’s doing it every match.”

The 167 lbs division saw a top 20 ranked matchup as 12th-ranked sophomore Garret Thompson (16-4) stepped onto the mat for the Bobcats while 19th-ranked senior Caleb Fish (15-4) represented the Spartans.

Fish got to work early finishing his takedown attempt with a minute left in the first period to take a 3-1 lead into the second period following a Thompson escape. The second period saw Fish maintain control as he picked up over a minute of riding time, but neither scored a point. Fish continued to lead the dance in the third period virtually neutralizing Thompson for the whole two minutes. With just under 30 seconds left, Fish secured his second takedown to earn himself a 6-1 decision victory as the Spartans took command of the meet with a score of 16-7.

56th-ranked redshirt junior Marty Larkin (9-8) was chosen to wrestle again for the Spartans as he faced off against 36th-ranked junior Sal Perrine (8-8) in the 174 lbs division.

Perrine took the lead in the first period with a takedown as he looked to secure a pin with just under 30 seconds left in the period, but Larkin fought off the attempt to just survive the period

Perrine continued to build on his 7-0 lead in the second period securing a second takedown with just under 30 seconds in the second period. The third period saw Larkin earn two points from escapes, but Perrine took control back quickly as he finished his third takedown of the match to win the decision 15-2. As the Bobcats managed to bring the score close at 16-11.

Larkin took the mat for the second consecutive night in a row in favor of redshirt senior D.J. Shannon who began the year as the Spartan’s first choice 174 pounder

Larkin, who has dropped both matches since given the opportunity, will likely give Chandler much to think about heading into conference play.

After the match, Chandler highlighted the effort Larkin put in to make sure Ohio didn’t earn bonus points despite the result. But, Chandler said the decision on who will get the nod between Shannon and Larkin in Ann Arbor is, “all in play moving forward.”

In the 184 lbs division, 22nd-ranked graduate student Layne Malczewski (4-3) represented the Spartans, facing 44th-ranked junior Zayne Lehman (6-4). The first period saw Malczewski come seconds away from a pin in which Lehmann just survived thanks to the bell but Malczewski only came away with the takedown points following referee review

Malczewski continued to dominate in the second period securing an escape and almost instantly finishing a takedown right after to take a 7-0 lead into the third. 

The third period saw Lehman virtually defeated as he looked to survive the onslaught of Malczewski as Malczewski comfortably saw out the 7-0 decision win putting the Spartans up 20-11.

The 197 lbs division saw 57th-ranked redshirt freshman Kael Wisler (18-8) face off against redshirt freshman Austin Starr (10-5) of Ohio University

Starr secured an early takedown in the first period to take a 3-0 lead much to the surprise of Wisler. But, Wisler bounced back quickly racking up four points in the final minute of the first period with an escape and takedown of his own. 

Wisler took control of the match in the second period adding another takedown while dominating the position to enter the third with a commanding 10-3 lead thanks to added stalling points from Starr. Wisler saw the victory out in the third period securing his third takedown with a minute left en route to closing out a dominant 14-3 decision victory. 

The final match of the night came in the heavyweight division with 43rd-ranked redshirt freshman Josh Terrill (22-6) closing out the night for the Spartans—who had already secured the meet victory—as he faced 78th-ranked redshirt sophomore Jordan Greer (6-5). 

Greer took a quick lead in the first period finishing a takedown in the first minute before giving up a point for stalling near the end of the period.

The second period saw minimal action as Greer earned a quick escape but neither of the pair would be able to score any more points in the period. Entering the third, Terrill looked the far more aggressive of the two working for a takedown that he secured with just a minute left before instantly converting the pin just seconds later in remarkable fashion. 

The Spartans now move to 7-0 on the season as they prepare for their first taste of Big Ten action next weekend.

Chandler highlighted the challenge that the dual between Michigan presents highlighting the prestige of their wrestling program. Going on to stress the mentality he has looked to prepare his team with.

“We all know how important the dual is but don’t focus on the winning or losing focus on the execution and process," Chandler said.

The Spartans will be back in action on Sunday, Jan. 14 when they head to Ann Arbor to kick off Big Ten conference action against The University of Michigan. Streaming will be available on Big Ten Plus with the first match set to begin at 1 p.m.

Share and discuss “Saldate, Terrill pins see MSU wrestling continue unbeaten start to season” on social media.