Preview: MSU wrestling will head to Ann Arbor for Big Ten campaign against Michigan

<p>Graduate Student Benny Gomez wrestles out of a hold during a meet against the University of Illinois, held at Jenison Fieldhouse on Feb. 5, 2023. The Spartans fell to the Illini 17-16.</p>

Graduate Student Benny Gomez wrestles out of a hold during a meet against the University of Illinois, held at Jenison Fieldhouse on Feb. 5, 2023. The Spartans fell to the Illini 17-16.

Michigan State wrestling will open up their Big Ten Conference campaign in Ann Arbor this Sunday, Jan. 14 at 1 p.m. against the No. 13 University of Michigan. 

The Spartans are entering the meet as underdogs, but will hope to stop the Wolverines from ending their undefeated streak for a second year in a row, as the Wolverines handed the Spartans their first loss of the season last year when the two met at Jenison Fieldhouse. 

The Wolverines head into the matchup with just one day of rest between their Big Ten opener against The University of Maryland on Friday, Jan. 12, as they are hosting the Spartans on Sunday.

Key matchups of the meet include the 157 pound weigh-in if Michigan chooses to use 15th-ranked graduate student Will Lewan (5-3). Lewan was recently rested in their loss against South Dakota State on Jan. 4. However, if Lewan is given the nod, we will see a huge matchup between him and 22nd-ranked senior Chase Saldate (13-3).

The pair have faced each other five times across their collegiate career with Lewan securing victories in all but one meeting. In their two most recent meetings, both matches were decided by a sudden victory; the pair split the two sudden death victories at one apiece. 

In the 165 pound weigh-in, 14th-ranked senior Caleb Fish (16-4) will most likely face off against the Wolverine's redshirt senior Cameron Amine (6-2), who is currently ranked No. 6 in the 165 pound division. Historically, Amine has beaten Fish four times all by decision. However, Fish has the opportunity to push his way into the top-ten ranking of his division if he beats Amine.

The final matchup of notice comes in the heavyweight division: the Spartan’s 37th-ranked redshirt freshman Josh Terrill (23-6) – who currently leads the nation in wins – is set to face off against graduate student Lucas Davison (7-1), who is No. 6 in the heavyweight division. This matchup will see one of the most exciting young names in wrestling face off against one of the most established names in the division.

Following this Sunday, the Spartans will be returning to Jenison Fieldhouse to host Rutgers University and continue Big Ten action on Friday, January 19. The meet is set to begin at 6:30 p.m. with streaming available on Big Ten Plus.

Share and discuss “Preview: MSU wrestling will head to Ann Arbor for Big Ten campaign against Michigan” on social media.