Preview: MSU women's basketball looks to even out Big Ten record against Maryland Tuesday

<p>Senior guard Tory Ozment scores against Maryland on Feb. 18, 2023.</p>

Senior guard Tory Ozment scores against Maryland on Feb. 18, 2023.

After a heartbreaking loss at the buzzer to the Iowa Hawkeyes—thanks to a game-winning three-pointer from senior All-American Caitlin Clark—the Michigan State women’s basketball team will look to get back into the winning column after facing their third loss of the season. 

After dropping two early Big Ten games to Nebraska and Iowa, the Spartans will also look to hit the .500 mark and even things out within their conference record against Maryland as they get deeper into Big Ten play. The Spartans will play their fourth of 17 straight Big Ten games, so winning early within the conference will be important. 

The green and white will return to the Breslin to take on the Terrapins who currently stand two spots ahead of Michigan State inside the Big Ten with a 2-1 conference record. Maryland is led at the helm by head coach Brenda Frese who is in her 22nd year of coaching the Terrapins. 

This matchup between the Spartans and the Terrapins will be the 21st all-time matchup, and coach Frese and the Terrapins own the series 18-2, winning the last seven straight meetings. 

The Terrapins will be coming into East Lansing off a win against Minnesota after surging in the second half to come away with a 72-64 win that moved them to 10-4 on the year. 

The Spartans will have to completely reshape their defensive sets when transitioning from playing Iowa to playing Maryland. Iowa’s offensive is run heavily through Clark and it shows when she finished the night with 40 points. However, Maryland has a balanced offense that finds ways to score from multiple positions. 

In just their last outing, the Terps had three different players score in the double digits led by junior guard Shyanne Sellers and redshirt junior Allie Kubek who both had 15-point performances on the night

The Spartans will have to quickly adjust to playing a more spread-out defense instead of having a focused point on any one specific player. 

On the offensive side of the ball, the Spartans have a similar style in the sense that any one of the players they have on the floor at any moment can have a hot offensive night. The Spartans continue to lead the Big Ten in offensive production which will give them a slight advantage over Maryland which is ranked 14 out of 15 in the Big Ten in defensive production

Tip-off for the matchup between the Spartans and the Terrapins is set for Tuesday, Jan. 9 at 6 p.m. 

Share and discuss “Preview: MSU women's basketball looks to even out Big Ten record against Maryland Tuesday” on social media.