MSU wrestling convincingly defeats American University 28-12

<p>Michigan State Univesity wrestling hosted University of Michigan on January 13, 2023 at Jenison Fieldhouse. The Spartans fell to the Wolverines 25-10.</p>

Michigan State Univesity wrestling hosted University of Michigan on January 13, 2023 at Jenison Fieldhouse. The Spartans fell to the Wolverines 25-10.

The Spartans hosted American University in their first dual of 2024 on what was also Military Night. Michigan State dominated the Eagles throughout the night en route to a 28-12 win securing victories in the 141, 149, 157, 165, 184, 197, and 285-pound divisions. 

With this win, the Spartans continue their undefeated streak as they move to 6-0 on the season.

The first match of the night began in the 133 lbs division with MSU's 180th-ranked redshirt sophomore Andrew Hampton (4-10) faced off against AU's 54th-ranked junior Maximilian Leete (6-4). 

Leete dominated from the first minute taking Hampton down effortlessly just 30 seconds into the match before securing a fall within the first minute. As the Eagles stole a quick 6-0 lead on the scoreboard.

In the 141 lbs division 29th-ranked Junior Jordan Hamdan (12-3) of Michigan State faced off against the 116th-ranked sophomore Raymond Lopez (1-1). 

Hamdan asserted himself early on getting a takedown in the first period with a double leg takedown on Lopez. Both Hamdan and Lopez secured an escape each and gave up a stalling call as well to bring it to 5-2 with 30 seconds left. 

The final 30 seconds saw Hamdan give up two stalling calls before closing out the match with his second takedown to secure the Spartans first win by a score of 8-4. Bringing the meet score to 3-6 in favor of the Eagles

The third match of the night saw 158th-ranked Redshirt-Freshman Braden Stauffenberg (4-8) of Michigan State face off against 108th-rankedf Junior Ethan Szerencsits (0-2) of American University in the 149 lbs division.

Stauffenberg secured an early takedown in the first period while Szerencits earned himself an escape point late in the first. The second period saw Stauffenberg dominate securing an early escape to give him a 4-1 lead heading into the third. Szerencitis secured an escape in the third period, but failed to make anything else of the period falling to Stauffenberg by a score of 5-2. As the Spartans began to dominate the meet taking back to back decision victories tying the score up at 6-6.

The 157 lbs division saw 22nd-ranked Michigan State senior Chase Saldate (12-3) face off against 208th-ranked Junior Devon Capato (3-4). Saldate dominated from the start securing a takedown in the first minute of the match. Following a reset due to a stalling call on Saldate, Saldate quickly secured his second takedown of the first period. 

The second period saw Saldate continue in dominant fashion securing another two takedowns in the first minute of the second period before adding another point thanks to time advantage. The third period saw Saldate closeout his masterful performance as he secured a fall after once again completely controlling the first minute of the third period giving the Spartans a controlling 12-6 lead heading into the 165 lbs weight class.

The 165 lbs division saw 19th-ranked Junior Caleb Fish (14-4) of MSU face off against 215th-ranked Junior Breon Phifer (0-8) of American University. 

The first points of the match came in the second round when Fish secured an escape and a reversal to give him a 3-0 lead in the second period. Although Fish dominated throughout the match securing over three minutes of advantage across the three periods.

Closing out the final 20 seconds with a near fall ending the match with a 7-0 decision win for Phifer while the Spartans took a 16-6 lead halfway through the duel. 

In the 174 lbs division, 56th-ranked Junior Marty Larkin (9-7) took the mat in a last second decision for MSU replacing 76th-ranked Junior D.J. Shannon. Larkin faced off against the 105th-ranked Sophomore Lucas White (5-6) of American. 

After the meet, head coach Roger Chandler spoke about the decision to bring in Larkin highlighting Larkin’s involvement and success in the Cleveland State Open as a reason to trust in his form.

Larkin and White went back and fourth in the first period with neither able to assert themselves. In the second period, things changed as Larkin was able to secure White’s back with a slick reversal in the second period. 

White fought back late in the third period, securing a takedown in the final 45 seconds of the dual that saw White secure Americans second win of the night via decision by a score of 3-2.

The 22nd-ranked graduate student Layne Malczewski (3-3) took the mat for the Spartans in the 184 lbs division facing off against 95th-ranked senior Connor Bourne (5-4).

Malczewski secured an early takedown in the first period giving him an early 3-0 lead heading into the second period. Malczewski earned an escape point just seconds into the second period but was unable to capitalize on the position. 

In the third period, Malczewski secured an early takedown after Bourne escaped as Malcewszki just nearly secured a fall on the way to earning four points. Malcewszki dominated en route to an 11-2 decision win.

The 197 lbs division saw two underclassmen face off in 57th-ranked redshirt-freshman Kael Wisler (17-8) of MSU and 117th-ranked redshirt-freshman Liam Volk-Klos (6-8) of American University. 

Wisler continued the trend of early takedowns for the Spartans securing a takedown just over a minute into the match. Wisler continued to dominate climbing up to an 8-0 lead at the end of the second period with 3:43 of advantage heading into the third. 

Nothing changed in the third period, as Wisler secured two takedowns and an escape on the way to a 16-2 win that earned the Spartans five points and take the Spartans up to a 25-9 lead

In the 265 lbs division, 43rd-ranked redshirt-freshman Josh Terrill (21-6) represented the Spartans receiving a roar of support as he walked onto the mat. 

Terrill faced off against 61st-ranked senior Will Jarrell (8-6) in a match that saw no points be scored until a minute into the second period when Jarrell scored two points for a reversal. The Third period saw Terrill attempt to secure a takedown fighting valiantly for the takedown before securing it with just under 40 seconds to go as the Jenison erupted with roars of “two”.

The final 35 seconds saw Ferrell do everything he could to get a reversal securing it with just under 20 seconds, but Chandler immediately challenged the decision seeing it reversed to an escape leaving the score at 3-3 with just ten seconds left.  As the pair headed to overtime, the support for Terril only became more evident as his teammates crowded the mat for his overtime bout while the Jenison got the rowdiest it had all night.

The extra push clearly inspired Terrill as he secured a takedown just 45 seconds into the overtime period to secure the win, although the initial call was unsuccessfully challenged by American Universities Head Coach Jason Borelli. Terrill’s win saw the Spartans take a commanding 28-9 lead that all but finished the night off.

Chandler highlighted the talent of Holt native Terrill when asked about the notable support for the redshirted Freshman deeming Terrill a, “special heavyweight,” making note of his nation leading wins (22). 

“People like Josh Terrill because of the effort he gives and you can see it. Not many big guys can go at the pace he goes at and people want to see that,” Chandler continued.

The final bout of the night saw 38-ranked Junior Tristan Lujan (12-5) face off against 17th ranked Junior Jack Maida (9-0). Maida led the dance for most of the first period but strong defense from Lujan saw them enter the second period at 0-0.

Lujan was able to secure the escape point early in the second period but Maida went back to work securing a takedown that was met by a challenge from Chandler which paid dividends as the takedown was reversed in favor of the Spartans.

The final minute of the third period saw Maida secure a reversal from the defensive position that saw him take a 1-2 lead with just under 30 seconds remaining as Maida controlled Lujan for the final moments to secure the decision victory. Although it was not enough to turn around the Eagles night, as the meet ended 28-12 in favor of the Spartans.

The Spartans return to action Jan. 6th as they will host Ohio University on what will also be Alumni Night with the first match set to take off at 5 p.m. EST with streaming available on Big Ten Plus.

Share and discuss “MSU wrestling convincingly defeats American University 28-12” on social media.