Monday, May 6, 2024

Lansing’s warm embrace: navigating code blue conditions with heart and hope

<p>Snowfall at a CATA bus station. Josh Radtke/The State News</p>

Snowfall at a CATA bus station. Josh Radtke/The State News

As temperatures plummeted to the lowest of the season these past few weeks, the City of Lansing implemented a 'code blue' emergency response to address the uninhabitable weather conditions. When the alert is put in place, warming centers across the area extend their hours in order to accommodate for those who seek warmth. 

Senior director for community engagement at City Rescue Mission Laura Grimwood defines 'code blue' as a citywide notification to a network of warming centers, signaling the onset of extreme weather conditions

Established in 1911, City Rescue Mission of Lansing is a Christian ministry that provides food, shelter and hope to those who need it. They have  a shelter for men, a shelter for women and children and a drop-in center for temporary overnight stays. These centers play a crucial role in aiding those in need during 'code blue'.

Since the implementation of 'code blue', there has been a surge in unhoused visitors at shelters and warming centers across the greater Lansing area.

The Capital Area District Libraries, or CADL, in Lansing have become welcoming spaces for individuals seeking warmth during the day. CADL Marketing and Communications Director Victoria Meadows explains that the library's open nature makes it a fitting choice as a designated warming center.

Meadows said the libraries have observed a heightened amount of guests in the library during the recent winter storm

Despite the increased footfall, Meadows said they are effectively managing the influx. Staffing numbers have been increased to meet visitors’ needs and security personnel are both in place at the South and Downtown Lansing locations in case emergency services are needed.

While City Rescue Mission sometimes faces the unfortunate task of turning people away, they strive to redirect them to their drop-in shelter or other shelters with available space.

Smaller organizations like Loaves and Fishes Ministries, which is supported by approximately 40 volunteers, find it challenging to meet the escalating demands of the public.

Fish and Loaves director Teri Looney acknowledges the difficulty in addressing round-the-clock demands, especially on weekends

Shelters aim to provide overnight places to stay and support, such as food, bus passes and connections with caseworkers, but during Code Blue, limited resources constrain them to the basics, Looney said.

Recently, the organization has seen a growing need for full-family unit housing, a recurrent challenge for organizations in Lansing, Looney said. Loaves and Fishes, along with many other Lansing organizations, don’t have the ability to accommodate these needs.

“The calls we’ve been getting are for the full family units and we just don’t have that here," Looney said.

The Letts’ Warming Center, which opened in December, initially intended to meet this demand, however, due to a lack of a fire suppression system, the building now only accommodates unhoused adults.

lettscc-231122-01

Despite continuous challenges presented by Code Blue, Lansing’s community organizations stand resilient. In the midst of adversity, these organizations echo a shared commitment to welcome everyone.

“Our designation as a warming center is to remind the community that everyone is welcome, even if they just want to get out of the weather,” Meadows said.

Share and discuss “Lansing’s warm embrace: navigating code blue conditions with heart and hope” on social media.