MSU women's basketball rights themselves in the second half to defeat Central Michigan 91-67

Michigan State University sophomore guard Theryn Hallock (4) and graduate guard Moria Joiner (22) strategize the next play during a game against Nebraska at the Breslin Center on Dec. 9, 2023. The Spartans lost to the Cornhuskers 74-80.

The Michigan State women’s basketball team played the final game of its three-game home-stand against the Chippewas of Central Michigan University after dropping their first Big Ten conference match of the year to the Nebraska Cornhuskers.

After a hot start on the offensive side in the first half and a sloppy start to the second half, the Spartans were able to come away with a 91-67 win after regaining their poise in the fourth quarter

Junior guard DeeDee Hagemann was absent from the line-up after being suspended for one game for violating team rules per a team spokesperson, but in her absence sophomore guard Theryn Hallock stepped in to help the offense get into a rhythm early with the first eight points of the game. 

The Chippewas won the tipoff, but the Spartans defended their opponents first offensive opportunity and turned it into an “and one” opportunity for Hallock on the other end. The Spartans immediately forced a turnover and Hallock hit the first three-pointer of the night to give MSU an early six-point lead. 

Another layup from Hallock, followed by a three-pointer from graduate guard Julia Ayrault and the Spartans were able to get back into their shooting groove after struggling in their previous game. Halfway through the first quarter, the Spartans had already made 4-6 three-pointers to create a 17-6 lead. 

Along with the absence of Hagemann, graduate student guard/forward Tory Ozment was also absent after both players were suspended for one game for violating team ruler per a team spokesperson, but this allowed for freshman guard Bree Robinson and freshman center Mary Meng to get some early minutes in the first quarter. 

Meng got some invaluable experience for a freshman in the last 30 seconds of the first when she made a nice post-move to score over CMU’s Rochelle Norris who has been a huge playmaker for them down low. With Meng’s bucket, the Spartans finished the first quarter with a 26-10 lead

Graduate student guard Moria Joiner continued to heat up in the second quarter after hitting two three-pointers in the first. After struggling in her last match against Nebraska, Joiner looked completely rejuvenated from deep in this game

However, it wasn’t just Joiner who had rekindled their spark from three. Ayrault, Junior guard Jocelyn Tate, and Hallock had all made a three by the six and a half minute mark of the second quarter. 

The Spartans went into halftime with an impressive 48-25 lead thanks to an imposing first-half shooting performance from Joiner. She finished the first half with 19 total points and five three-pointers to help create the 23-point lead. 

The momentum of the game shifted to the side of the Chippewas to start the second half after they went on an 11-2 run, hitting three three-pointers in less than three minutes to cut the Spartan lead down to 14. 

Sloppy play, including turnovers and bad spacing, plagued the Spartan offense for the first half of the third quarter, and the Chippewas continued to use that against the Spartans to put themselves back into the game.

Joiner was able to calm the storm after hitting another three, her first of the second half, but the Chippewas refused to back down and continued to chip at the Spartan lead

The short line-up of only seven players started to show on the defensive side as the Spartans began to look sluggish, allowing easy opportunities down low for CMU’s post scorers. Although the Spartan defense was slowed, the offense produced enough to hold on to a 14 point lead going into the final quarter. 

Although the Spartans had dominated the first quarter on both sides, it would be all up to how they could finish in this matchup after nearly letting CMU blow the door wide open

Robinson opened up the scoring in the fourth with a hook shot right in the middle of the key and the extra effort from the freshman boosted the rest of the team’s spirit. Joiner followed the hook shot with another three pointer as the Spartans looked to close this one out. 

The Chippewas weren’t going to let it be that easy though as they continued to at least match the Spartans in scoring, following each MSU basket with a basket of their own. Although MSU continued to hold onto a double digit lead, it seemed that CMU could creep into the leading spot at any moment. 

The Spartans were able to get a stop after a block from Ayrault and they quickly turned it into transition points after Hallock found Tate on a cut for the quick layup, pushing the Spartan lead to 17 points. 

A defensive miscommunication for CMU left sophomore guard Abbey Kimball wide open during an inbound for one of the easiest two-pointers that CMU allowed all game. Another easy opportunity was provided by the CMU defense after Kimball was fouled at the three-point line. 

Kimball went 3-3 from the line and that just about put the game away for the Spartans, but with just under three minutes left, the Spartan line-up got even shorter after Tate received her fifth and final foul of the night and she was sent to the bench. 

However, it was too late for the Chippewas to take advantage of the extra shortened line-up of the Spartans after they were able to find just enough offense to reel the game back in and defeat CMU with a final score of 91-67. 

With the win officially in the books, head coach Robyn Fralick logged her 200th win as a head coach. Fralick thanked Spartan fans over the speakers for their support after logging her career milestone

The Spartans will have a quick turnaround as they prepare to head to North Carolina for their next game on Wednesday, Dec. 20 for the Cherokee Invitational. It will be a two-game tournament for the Spartans and their first matchup on Wednesday will be against the University of Richmond. 

Share and discuss “MSU women's basketball rights themselves in the second half to defeat Central Michigan 91-67” on social media.