MSU president-elect Guskiewicz talks Nassar documents, student debt, violence in Middle East

MSU President-elect Kevin Guskiewicz speaking with the media at the Hannah Administration Building on Dec. 11, 2023.  This was a chance for the media to meet Guskiewicz as he prepares to take the role of Michigan State University’s president on March 4, 2024.
MSU President-elect Kevin Guskiewicz speaking with the media at the Hannah Administration Building on Dec. 11, 2023. This was a chance for the media to meet Guskiewicz as he prepares to take the role of Michigan State University’s president on March 4, 2024.

For Kevin Guskiewicz, president-elect of Michigan State University, there’s a lot to do before he officially starts the $975,000 position on March 4. 

At a press conference Monday morning, the chancellor of University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill said he’s planning to meet with faculty, staff and student leaders today and hold a listening and learning tour in March to better understand “where we can have our greatest impact.” 

He said he realizes MSU is facing difficulties: infighting in the Board of Trustees, calls for the release of thousands of documents relating to MSU’s handling of disgraced ex-MSU doctor Larry Nassar, pending litigation from fired-football coach Mel Tucker and an investigation into who might have leaked the identity of the woman he sexually harassed.

But he said he’s confident he can “work through those unique challenges” by collaborating with university leaders and working together with trustees

Guskiewicz will be the sixth president of the university in as many years. One of his predecessors, Samuel L. Stanley, resigned due to disagreements with the board. Stanley’s replacement, current Interim President Teresa Woodruff, has said that work with the board can be “difficult” and is not seeking the permanent role

MSU’s history of board tension doesn’t faze Guskiewicz, who has had similar conflicts with UNC’s board of governors.

“I've gotten to know all eight of the (MSU) board members both collectively as a group and individually,” Guskiewicz said. “I feel a connection to them, and I have heard each of them say that they're committed to a shared governance model that will keep everyone in their lanes.”

He said he’s committed to transparency, but noted the difference between dishonesty and not being able to discuss personnel matters.

“I guarantee you and promise you that we will work with the community with the highest level of integrity and honesty, with hopefully an appreciation and understanding that we can't always be as transparent until a certain point, especially around personnel matters," Guskiewicz said. “But, I believe in transparency.”

The Nassar documents

Survivors of Nassar's abuse have long called for the release of the thousands of documents relating to MSU’s handling of the situation, and are suing administrators for withholding them. 

When asked how he’ll handle the Nassar documents, Guskiewicz wouldn’t comment but hinted toward a potential resolution before he starts at MSU in March

“My understanding is that there are some things that will have been wrapped up by that time, so until then I will not comment on how I would respond or react,” Guskiewicz said. 

Guskiewicz said that the issue of the Nassar documents never came up during the search process that elected him president or in conversations with MSU leaders

Student debt

Guskiewicz said he’ll prioritize the affordability of MSU.

"The cost of higher education right now and the rising student debt is a concern,” Guskiewicz said. “That's something I want to make sure that we get right here, so that we can pride ourselves on outstanding education that (is) affordable and accessible to all those who learn their path here.”

Guskiewicz had followed through on a similar goal at UNC.

Following the Supreme Court’s June 29 decision to outlaw affirmative action in college admissions, UNC announced that it would offer free tuition to students whose families earn less than $80,000 annually.

In the July 7 statement, Guskeiwicz wrote, "we want to make sure (UNC) students know that financial constraints should not stand in the way of their dreams."

Conflict in the Middle East

Responding to a question on how he would balance hate speech and First Amendment rights as antisemitism and Islamophobia rise on college campuses, Guskiewicz said he doesn’t tolerate prejudice and would work to prevent misinformation.

“We, as a leading global public research university, have a responsibility to help educate and model the way in which we should have respectful discourse around some of the world's biggest challenges,” Guskiewicz said.

Many Palestinian and Jewish students have felt a lack of support from MSU following the militant group Hamas' attack on Israel on Oct. 7, killing and taking civilians hostage, and the Israeli Defense Force's attacks on the Gaza Strip, killing and displacing civilians.

Guskiewicz said he plans to address those concerns similar to how he did at UNC

He said that a few days after Oct. 7, Guskiewicz said he “spoke publicly about and condemned the terrorist attacks by Hamas, and talked about the need for the community to come together.”

But later, following a tense Pro-Palestine protest at the UNC library and the alleged assault of a Muslim community member a few blocks from the campus, Guskiewicz and UNC Provost Chris Clemens released a statement on their commitment to institutional neutrality, according to reporting by The Daily Tar Heel

Pro-Palestinian students at UNC have criticized this response, holding a protest in their administration building to demand university action.

Share and discuss “MSU president-elect Guskiewicz talks Nassar documents, student debt, violence in Middle East” on social media.