5 MSU hockey players invited to selection camps for World Junior Championships

<p>Sophomore forward Isaac Howard (22) taking a shot on goal during a game against Penn State at the Munn Ice Arena on Nov. 10, 2023. Howard would score the goal and add one assist to his stat line before the end of the game.</p>

Sophomore forward Isaac Howard (22) taking a shot on goal during a game against Penn State at the Munn Ice Arena on Nov. 10, 2023. Howard would score the goal and add one assist to his stat line before the end of the game.

As the Spartans head into early December, just about halfway through the season, the announcement of preliminary selection camps were announced for the IIHF World Juniors Championships.

There were five Spartans selected to head to the camp for their respective countries: freshman goaltender Trey Augustine, sophomore forward ​​Isaac Howard, freshman defenseman Patrick Geary, freshman defenseman Maxim Štrbák and freshman forward Tommi Männistö

"We feel super fortunate that our players are among the candidates for the World Junior Championships," said head coach Adam Nightingale in a press release. "Trey, Isaac and Maxim have already played in the World Junior tournament in previous years, and they know the pride that comes with pulling on your nation's sweater.  Playing for your country is an incredibly special opportunity, and one that should be celebrated."

Štrbák is a veteran to the world junior world, having played in the tournament a year prior to his MSU debut with his home country of Slovakia, and Männistö skated in the World Junior Showcase this past August for his home country of Finland.

Augustine, Howard and Geary will all be skating at WJC selection camp for the United States.

The selection camp will be held for the U.S. team on Dec 14-16 in Ann Arbor, MI, where the players will compete for their spots on the team rosters for the 2024 tournament in Sweden from Dec. 26-Jan. 4 at two split arenas of Frölundaborg and Scandinavium.

Share and discuss “5 MSU hockey players invited to selection camps for World Junior Championships” on social media.