Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Final: MSU hockey takes a dominating 4-1 win over Ferris State on night one of the Great Lakes Invitational

<p>Michigan State's Karsen Dorwart (28) chases the play against Wisconsin at Munn Ice Arena on Nov. 17, 2023,.</p>

Michigan State's Karsen Dorwart (28) chases the play against Wisconsin at Munn Ice Arena on Nov. 17, 2023,.

Following a thrilling first overtime game between Alaska Fairbanks and Michigan Tech in the Great Lakes Invitational (GLI), the Spartans took to the ice for their game against Ferris State, where they took a dominating 4-1 win—resulting in the chance to play in the championship game.

This week, the Spartans are having to play without top-line forward sophomore Isaac Howard, starting goalie freshman Trey Augustine, freshman forward Tommi Mannisto and freshman defenseman Maxim Štrbák due to the International Ice Hockey Federation (IIHF) World Junior Championship, but that did not stop the Spartans from playing like their usual selves.

For his second start of the year, freshman goalie Luca Di Pasquo was backing the green and white between the pipes. He has had two appearances this season prior to Thursday's game against Lake Superior State and Air Force, holding a 1-1 record. 

While the team came out strong in the first four minutes of gameplay, the Spartans were the first to land in the penalty box after an interference call on sophomore Karsen Dorwart

With a powerful penalty kill unit, the team returned to full strength in no time. Shortly after returning to full strength, the Spartans put a puck in the back of the net after a goal from senior forward Jeremy Davidson, which was assisted by sophomore forward Tiernan Shoudy and freshman forward Griffin Jurecki.

The Bulldogs found themselves down a man after a two-minute minor penalty was called for elbowing, giving the Spartans their opportunity to shine, but they were not able to capitalize on the opponents losing a player.

Despite the unsuccessful power play, Michigan State quickly took on another scoring opportunity as junior forward Tanner Kelly sent one straight past the Bulldog goaltender with an assist coming from senior defenseman Nash Nienhuis.

The end of the first period saw the Spartans up with a score of 2-0, with some amazing saves from both ends of the ice, and a stand out performance thus far from Di Pasquo.

Quickly into the second period, Ferris State logged another penalty, giving the Spartans a second opportunity to strike on the power play, but the Bulldogs held on, leaving the Spartans 0-2 through their opportunities. 

Outshooting the Bulldogs through the first 7 minutes 9-0, the Spartan capitalized on one of the opportunities, as Dorwart lit the lamp assisted by freshman defenseman Artyom Levshunov.

With six remaining minutes in the middle frame, Davidson shot between his legs to land the Spartans a fourth goal of the night, and earned his second of the night assisted by junior defenseman David Gucciardi.

Michigan State was able to keep Ferris off the board until the last four remaining minutes of the second, when Travis Shoudy—the brother of Michigan State's Tiernan Shoudy—put a puck past Di Pasquo to make the game 4-1. The Spartans still retained major offensive possession of the puck to end the second, leading in shots on goal 16-7 through the period.

The third and final period brought just as much action as the first two. The Spartans yet again dominated their offensive zone, and tempers began to rise as well from the teams as the chirps flew and so did the shoves, but the Spartans persevered through with pure domination.

With an outstanding save from Di Pasquo in the final eight minutes of game play, the green and white continued to hold out, even through a penalty kill after a two-minute holding call on sophomore forward Daniel Russell.

The game between the Spartans and the Bulldogs was clean and well played, with traveling Spartan fans and Munnsters continuing to show their massive support towards the team.

The Spartans play on Dec. 29 back at Van Andel arena for more action in the championship game against Michigan Tech University in hopes of returning the GLI title to East Lansing.

Share and discuss “Final: MSU hockey takes a dominating 4-1 win over Ferris State on night one of the Great Lakes Invitational” on social media.