Sunday, April 28, 2024

Preview: MSU women's basketball looks to extend win streak against Detroit Mercy

<p>Michigan State University junior guard DeeDee Hagemann (0) trying to get past defense by Wright State University on Nov. 12, 2023.</p>

Michigan State University junior guard DeeDee Hagemann (0) trying to get past defense by Wright State University on Nov. 12, 2023.

After defeating Wright State in a blowout 99-55 win on Sunday, the Michigan State women's basketball team will look to extend its two-game win streak in a face-off against Detroit Mercy.

This will be the third straight regular season game played inside Breslin for the Spartans, not including their exhibition game against Davenport.

The Spartans have looked dominant in their first two games of the season, winning both by a major point margin. The Spartans have also found an early scoring groove, nearly breaking double digits twice already, including the exhibition match against Davenport.

The Titans, led by head coach Kate Achter, come into the match with a 2-1 record after suffering their first loss of the season on Nov. 12 against Butler 68-61. Graduate student guard Imani McNeal had a good all-around performance in the loss. McNeal finished with nine points, four rebounds, four assists and four rebounds. 

This will be the 32nd time the Spartans and Titans will play against each other, with MSU holding a 24-7 record against UDM in the previous 31 games. MSU has won the last 19 matches against UDM, with their most recent win in December last year. 

The last time the Titans came away with a win against the Spartans was in 1994, when both teams played each other in a neutral site game in San Juan, Puerto Rico. The Titans came away with a 75-70 victory. 

MSU has started the season hot, especially on offense, as they continue to have high output games on the offensive side. They are fourth in scoring margin at +34.5 and second in assists at about 24.0 a game. 

The Spartans have continued to find open shooters around the perimeter, and it has become a big part of their large scoring margins at the end of games. MSU is second in the league in three-point field goals made, with an average of 10.5 a game. Junior guard DeeDee Hagemann leads the team in scoring, averaging 20 points per game. She is also first in three-point field goal percentage at (.778). 

While Hagemann has been a big help so far at the beginning of the season, you can expect the Spartans to look to score down low a bit more in this game, thanks to junior forward Isaline Alexander. Alexander had her second-straight double-double during the Spartans game against Wright State.  

Alexander also picked up her very first double-double of the season last year against Detroit Mercy. Alexander finished their matchup last year with 10 points and 10 rebounds in their 91-41 win last year. 

Although MSU has started the season hot, head coach Robyn Fralick knows the team still has some kinks to work out moving forward. 

"We're still a work in progress, and I think we’ll know more as the season goes on," Fralick said after the win against Wright State. 

Tipoff is set for Thursday afternoon at 6:30 p.m. at the Breslin Center.

Share and discuss “Preview: MSU women's basketball looks to extend win streak against Detroit Mercy” on social media.