MSU Hockey pulls to No. 7 in the national rankings, Augustine receives Big Ten first star of the week

<p>Freshman goalie Trey Augustine (1) looking focused during a game against Penn State at the Munn Ice Arena on Nov. 10, 2023. Augustine would end the game with 37 saves. The Nittany Lions would convert two out of 4 shootout attempts against Augustine on their way to victory.</p>

Freshman goalie Trey Augustine (1) looking focused during a game against Penn State at the Munn Ice Arena on Nov. 10, 2023. Augustine would end the game with 37 saves. The Nittany Lions would convert two out of 4 shootout attempts against Augustine on their way to victory.

After an eventful weekend at Munn Ice Arena, where the Spartans swept last week’s No. 1 Wisconsin Badgers, the MSU hockey team has started their move back into the top 10 and have been slotted at No. 7 for the week in the USCHO and USA Hockey polls, moving up a whopping four spots from No. 11.

While the Spartans are still one place behind the now No. 6 Badgers, they have jumped ahead of their upcoming competitors, the No. 8 Minnesota Golden Gophers by one spot.

Thus far into the season, the Spartans record stands at 10-3-1 and 5-0-1 in the Big Ten after a sweep against Ohio State, a win and a tie against Penn State and a sweep against Wisconsin. The team now sits at first place in the conference after the first three weeks of their Big Ten play.

Another recognition that the team received was earning the NCAA Team of the Week after their incredible win over Wisconsin.

To put the cherry on top of the winning weekend, freshman goalie Trey Augustine also received Big Ten first Star of the Week. Augustine stopped 60 out of 64 shots sent his way over the weekend with a .938 save percentage. His help between the pipes took the Spartans to a series sweep over a top ranked team for the first time since 1974. Even as the youngest Division I netminder, Augustine currently shares the national lead in goaltender wins (9).

The Spartans head to Minnesota over Thanksgiving weekend to taken on the Golden Gophers on Friday at 8 p.m. ET and Sunday at 2 p.m. ET. Friday's game will be streamed on Big Ten Plus while Sunday’s will be on Big Ten Network.

Share and discuss “MSU Hockey pulls to No. 7 in the national rankings, Augustine receives Big Ten first star of the week” on social media.