Lansing Model Train Show fosters an environment for railroad enthusiasts to unite

Model trains, railroads and artifacts on display during the Lansing Model Train Show at the MSU Pavilion for Agriculture and Livestock Education on Nov. 5, 2023.

The Lansing Model Railroad Club hosted Michigan’s largest model railroad show and sale at Michigan State University's Pavilion for Agriculture and Livestock Education.

The show, dating back to the 1970s, draws a crowd of around 3,000 people and brings in funds for the organization. Lansing Model Railroad Club Recording Secretary Michael Frezell said the event drew people in from as far as Alabama.

Crowds were made up of collectors, story-tellers and historians. Frezell said connecting with these passionate individuals is what makes the club special.

“One of the things that I really enjoy about the club is the friendship and the camaraderie with our members," Frezell said. “Every model railroad club that I’ve belonged to I have life long friends — this club has some of my best friends in the area. You know it's a place for us to learn, a place to relax, a place to grow yourself.”

img-0490

The event featured over 500 tables of new models, toy trains, artwork and railroad artifacts, among other train collectibles. Model trains chugged by on different tracks, winding around the pavilion. 

Learning at the show was made easy when everyone there seemed to be an expert in their own area. Gary Betz, a guest at the event, used the opportunity to showcase his vast collection of papers and documents that spun a vivid tapestry of railroading’s history. Betz said what his memorabilia teaches serves as a motivation.

“Maybe people might realize that we abandoned too much track too soon,” Betz said.

Collector Steven Weith spends his time tracking down vintage keys, locks and lanterns.

“I have this display — if I had room I would have brought it,” Weith said. “It's a giant padlock that was used in a store display at the turn of the century.”

Weith said the "unknown" fuels his passion.

“You never know what’s out there,” Weith said. “The chase is really the fun. After you have it a while, whoop-de-do. You just keep doing it (buying and selling) over and over and over again.”

img-0487

The itch to participate within the model railroading community is one that Blissfield Model Railroad member John McConnell can relate to.

Even after joining the navy air, McConnel said he found a way to indulge in his hobby.

“I got stuff through the hobby shop on the base,” McConnell said. “I built this layout… It would fold up. And you know lockers had a long slot right for your coat and stuff. Yeah, so there was a locker next to mine that was empty — there it was.”

The Lansing Model Train Show and Sale served as an opportunity for railroad enthusiasts from all different walks of life to gather and unite through their fondness for trains.

“The passion never left,” McConnell said. “I always had the passion.”

Share and discuss “Lansing Model Train Show fosters an environment for railroad enthusiasts to unite” on social media.