Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Katin Houser, Maliq Carr earn weekly conference honors for MSU football

<p>Maliq Carr lifted in the air after scoring against Central Michigan during Michigan State's home opener. Carr's Spartans won 31-7 on September 1st, 2023.</p>

Maliq Carr lifted in the air after scoring against Central Michigan during Michigan State's home opener. Carr's Spartans won 31-7 on September 1st, 2023.

Michigan State football had two players take home Big Ten weekly awards after their last-second win against Indiana on Saturday.

Redshirt junior tight end Maliq Carr won Offensive Player of the Week while redshirt freshman quarterback Katin Houser took home Freshman of the Week. 

Carr had a career high day against the Hoosiers, setting personal records with seven catches for 119 yards to go along with two touchdowns. His second score was the go-ahead for MSU in the 24-21 victory. Carr's receiving yards were the most for a tight end wearing the green and white since Dion Sims notched 122 yards 11 years ago against Eastern Michigan. 

Houser also had his best game with the Spartans as he completed 25 of 39 passes for three touchdowns and 279 yards. Houser led the game winning drive while trailing with four minutes left. He brought the offense 75 yards down the field, finding Carr for his 36-yard highlight touchdown to bring home the Old Brass Spittoon once again. 

Share and discuss “Katin Houser, Maliq Carr earn weekly conference honors for MSU football” on social media.