Final: MSU hockey pulls off night two win against Penn State

<p>Senior forward Jeremy Davidson (11) arguing with junior forward Carson Dyck (7) in a game between Michigan State and Penn State at the Munn Ice Arena on Nov. 10, 2023.</p>

Senior forward Jeremy Davidson (11) arguing with junior forward Carson Dyck (7) in a game between Michigan State and Penn State at the Munn Ice Arena on Nov. 10, 2023.

The Michigan State hockey team came into Munn Ice Arena for a 4 p.m. puck drop looking for revenge over the shootout loss the team was dealt against Penn State Friday night in game one. The Spartans were able to pull off a win on night two for a series split with a score of 5-3.

The Nittany Lions made a goalie change for Saturday afternoon replacing sophomore goalie Noah Grannan with senior goalie Liam Souliere, hoping for an outcome that surpassed Friday night's shootout win. Additionally, the Spartans added freshman forward Owen Baker back into the line up.

Both teams yet again came out swinging for the second night in a row, and the Spartans quickly gained possession of the puck in the first face off and junior forward Tanner Kelly immediately netted their first goal less than 30 seconds in.

But soon after the Spartans landed on the penalty kill after a holding call on senior defenseman Nash Nienhuis. The PK was yet again no problem for the MSU team as they managed to land full strength back, but just seconds later, Penn State retaliated and made the game an even 1-1.

Almost 20 seconds after Penn State evened the score, the Nittany Lions came right back in again to make it a one goal game in favor of PSU.

Just over halfway through the first period, the Spartans landed their first power play of the game after a cross checking call on the Nittany Lions. Michigan State was awarded a five minute major penalty and game misconduct giving the Spartans a chance to shine, but the green and white were not able to make a tie game out of the major.

Ending the first, the Nittany Lions majorly led in shots on goal, pulling a whopping 17 in comparison to MSU's seven.

Following into the second period, the Spartans were able to pick up the pace on both ends of the ice. The Spartans were quicker getting shots off, and they were quicker to defend the goal and freshman goalie Trey Augustine who started again for the second night.

The Spartans held strong and had several great breakaway opportunities, and their strong efforts eventually paid off and led to a tip in goal from fifth year forward Nicolas Müller. The Nittany Lion bench challenged for goalie interference, but the goal stood, tying the game at 2-2. 

Both teams played very clean in the second period, and as the Spartans continued great pressure against the Nittany Lions. Freshman Gavin O'Connell was able to put the team ahead for less than a minute before Penn State struck back, landing another goal making the game even yet again.

The third and final period began aggressively for both teams again and the Spartans were able to quickly produce shots on goal trying to catch up with Penn State and its leading number of shots. 

The Spartans received a power play opportunity in the final period after a hooking call, bringing them two minutes of a man advantage. Just as the time on the play began to dwindle down, O’Connell sent one in for his second goal of the night, bringing the team to a lead of 4-3.

Halfway through period three, the Spartans went on another penalty kill, where they again did what they do best by killing off the penalty and even earning a great shot attempt at a short handed shot from sophomore forward Karsen Dorwart.

With a minute to go in the game, the Nittany Lions logged a penalty for roughing, giving the Spartans the one man advantage for the rest of the game. 

After pulling their goalie on the penalty kill, the Spartans managed to land an empty net goal from freshman defenseman Artyom Levshunov, putting them ahead two goals for the remainder of the game to win 5-3.

The Spartans will be back at Munn Ice Arena next weekend for another matchup against the Wisconsin Badgers. They will play Friday at 7:30 p.m. and Saturday at an undetermined time. Both games will be streamed on Big Ten Plus.

Share and discuss “Final: MSU hockey pulls off night two win against Penn State” on social media.