Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Students discuss campus safety on home football game days

<p>MSU football fans tailgate in anticipation for the football season opener against Central Michigan University on Sept. 1, 2023. </p>

MSU football fans tailgate in anticipation for the football season opener against Central Michigan University on Sept. 1, 2023.

Especially on home football game days, Michigan State University's campus can be packed. Families walk around campus donning green and white Spartan gear, cars line up on the grass and swarms of students rush to tailgate.

Oftentimes, many people who don't attend MSU walk into campus buildings and residence halls as they follow their friends or join in the festivities. 

For many MSU students, however, something as simple as holding the door open for the person behind them can create a safety risk.

"People do that a lot, and even I do that," computer science freshman Aadhya Pandillapally said. "But, I sometimes wonder what will happen if someone who doesn't live here comes in that way. They should find a better system than that."

Following the Feb. 13 shooting on campus, MSU implemented security updates to improve safety for students. One of these updates included door locks for academic buildings and dorms, requiring ID cards to access these buildings from 6 p.m. to 7:30 a.m. On weekends with a home football game, buildings are locked Friday night until Saturday morning. 

But many students felt this update was insufficient, demanding a 24/7 building lock policy.

Associate director for communications for the Residence Education and Housing Services, or REHS, Bethany Balks said prioritizing campus safety should take precedence over overt politeness. 

"When it comes to residence halls, these are people's homes, particularly the living wings," Balks said. "We really just want to make sure people don't feel like they have to be 'Midwest nice.' They shouldn't hold the door open for people that they don't know."

Balks said the Spartan community has a "shared responsibility to keep each other safe."

"You may not want to be confrontational," she said. "And, I think you could find ways to not be confrontational, but also not feel like you have to let somebody in that you don't know."

Computer engineering freshman Casey Malmsten said the safety risks on game days are "scary" and "nerve-wracking."

“I feel like there will always be people trying to sneak in to hang out with their friends," Malmsten said. "But, I feel like 70 percent is actual students. I like how they restricted (Wilson Hall) ... (and) only Wilson residents can open the doors and not (residents of other dorms)."

Malmsten said there should be extra measures in place, such as designated campus employees to check IDs in person. Especially on game days, she said, people frequently slip into South neighborhood dorms due to the proximity to Spartan Stadium.

On the other hand, computer science freshman Sarika Kona and animal science freshman Katerina Kaltsounis feel that sneaking into campus buildings on game days is inevitable.

"More likely than not, they're going to be with like a friend, or they're meeting up with someone who is in whatever building they're sneaking into," Kaltsounis said. 

Kona said no matter what measures are put in place, there will always be someone hanging around entrances waiting to be let in by passing students.

The REHS sends security reminders and building access hours for home football gamedays, and during those weekends, resident assistants complete rounds to check on safety.

"Because we already know there's a ton of foot traffic on campus, we're trying to limit who can enter those doors," Balks said. "The exception is if there are dining operations in those halls ... the other residents of the neighborhood would be able to enter. So, (for example), all South residents can get into the main entry door in Case Hall."

Malmsten said she feels Wilson Hall has "better" safety measures than other MSU buildings, and noticed that Abbott Hall requires key card scanning to access elevators or entrances of its living spaces. 

Malmsten added that she still worries about people opening the door for each other. 

"Instead of just holding the door for people, definitely like be like, 'Hey, do you have ID (as a) student?'" Malmsten said. "It definitely is important ... and stop getting black-out drunk so you know what's going on. So many people are doing that ... They don’t have a care in the world about anything."

Share and discuss “Students discuss campus safety on home football game days” on social media.