MSU hockey drops in USA Hockey poll following series split, Larson scores Big Ten Second Star of the Week.

<p>MSU celebrates forward Red Savage's first goal as a Spartan at Munn Ice Arena on Saturday, Oct. 7, 2023. The Spartans won 5-2. Savage was drafted by the Detroit Red Wings in the fourth round in 2021 and wears the number 21.</p>

MSU celebrates forward Red Savage's first goal as a Spartan at Munn Ice Arena on Saturday, Oct. 7, 2023. The Spartans won 5-2. Savage was drafted by the Detroit Red Wings in the fourth round in 2021 and wears the number 21.

Michigan State hockey saw some movement in this week's national polls following a goal-filled series split at the Air Force Academy last weekend

The Spartans played the Falcons on Thursday, Oct. 12, and had a strong third period comeback, but ended up falling 6-5. The team struck back with a dominant Friday game in which they won 5-3.

Friday's game also gave sophomore forward Joey Larson his first hat trick in the green and white.

In the US College Hockey Online poll, the Spartans stayed locked in their spot at No. 8, now just behind the No. 7 University of Michigan and just ahead of No. 9 Western Michigan University.

USA Hockey released their poll as well. USA Hockey had the Spartans dropping one place to No. 9.

Along with the national rankings, the Big Ten also announced the three stars of the week on Tuesday morning. After his impressive series at Air Force, sophomore forward Joey Larson was named as the Big Ten Second Star of the Week.

The Michigan native had a five point weekend in Colorado Springs, where he landed his first hat trick as a Spartan and had two assists. Larson is currently one of three college hockey players in the country with a hat trick so far this season and the only player in the Big Ten.

Larson and his line mate, forward Red Savage, have been playing incredibly together and during game two, the pair had three goals and three assists.

MSU hockey will make its return home this weekend at Munn Ice arena for a Thursday and Friday series against Canisius, both at 7 p.m. The games will be streamed on Big Ten Plus.

Share and discuss “MSU hockey drops in USA Hockey poll following series split, Larson scores Big Ten Second Star of the Week.” on social media.