MSU women's cross country wins Big Ten Championship for the fourth time in 5 years

<p>A Michigan State runner passes the Cross Country Big Ten Championship sign, as they were on their way to a second consecutive Spartan title on Jan. 30, 2021.</p>

A Michigan State runner passes the Cross Country Big Ten Championship sign, as they were on their way to a second consecutive Spartan title on Jan. 30, 2021.

On Friday, Michigan State’s women’s cross country team won the 2023 Big Ten championship. This marks the second consecutive championship for the Spartan squad, and their fourth in the past five years

MSU ended the race registering 46 total points, 35 points fewer than the runner-up, Wisconsin, who had 81. Michigan rounded out the top three with 102 points.

This Big Ten Championship marks the fourth championship with director of cross country and track & field Lisa Breznau at the helm

Five Spartans finished in the top 15, with senior Makenna Veen leading the way, placing 3rd with a time of 21.01. Veen fell short of first place by 14 seconds, losing to Ohio State's Addie Engel, who placed first for the second consecutive year, and Wisconsin's Leane Willemse who placed second. Katie Osika finished right behind Veen at 4th, while Laruen Freeland placed 10th, Grace Molloy at 14th and Emily Bardwell at 15th

Veen and Osika also nabbed first team all Big Ten honors, while Freeland and Molloy earned second team all Big Ten honors. Bardwell just missed the cut for Big Ten honors, but still majorly contributed to the team's points

The women’s team wasn’t the only MSU squad to show out for the green and white. The men's cross country team also competed this weekend and placed third in the championship—marking the team's best finish in the Big Ten conference championship since 2017. Andrew Nolan was the only Spartan to earn first team Big Ten honors, while Alex Penski and Owen Huard earned second team honors

This isn’t the first time this season that the women's team has had success. They’re currently ranked 19th in the country and have placed first three times in the seven events that they participated in. 

The Spartans only have a few weeks to celebrate before they travel to Madison, Wisconsin on Nov. 10 to participate in the NCAA Great Lakes Regional. After that event, they travel to Charlottesville, Virginia to participate in the NCAA Cross Country Championships on Nov. 18.

Share and discuss “MSU women's cross country wins Big Ten Championship for the fourth time in 5 years ” on social media.