Tuesday, May 7, 2024

MSU releases statement on Israel-Hamas war, denounces all bigotry

<p>The Hannah Administration on April 5, 2022. The building is located on 426 Auditorium Rd, East Lansing. </p>

The Hannah Administration on April 5, 2022. The building is located on 426 Auditorium Rd, East Lansing.

On Oct. 12, MSU released a statement addressing the ongoing war in Israel and Gaza, condemning the violence and prioritizing the well-being of the MSU community. 

“We condemn the recent acts of violence and share the concern of many in our community regarding the staggering loss of life in Israel and Gaza,” the statement reads. “MSU strongly opposes hate, bigotry, antisemitism and Islamophobia and the way these may manifest into fear and violence.”

The statement says that "while this situation unfolds abroad, the safety of our campus community is a top priority." It encourages anyone receiving targeted or personal threats to contact the MSU Department of Police and Public Safety at (517) 355-2221. 

“MSU DPPS is collaborating with impacted groups to understand community needs and take appropriate action and is prepared to provide additional security on campus as requested,” the statement reads.

According to the statement, several on-campus groups — Student Life and Engagement, Office of the Provost, International Studies and Programs, Office for Global Health, Safety and Security, Michael and Elaine Serling Institute for Jewish Studies and Modern Israel and Muslim Studies Program — have "reached out." The school will continue to provide information, resources and support for Spartans who are impacted, the statement says. 

MSU currently has no school-sponsored trips in Israel or Gaza. The university will not support official travel to the region "until the security situation is improved." 

The statement advises MSU travelers to contact the Office for Global Health, Safety and Security for guidance, including proposed travel to bordering nations and territories or any nearby destinations. 

Students seeking resources can visit Counseling and Psychiatric Services, email the Office of Student Support and Accountability at ossa@msu.edu or call the crisis hotline at (517) 355-8270 and press “1” at the prompt. Staff and faculty are encouraged to visit the Employee Assistance Program.

Share and discuss “MSU releases statement on Israel-Hamas war, denounces all bigotry” on social media.