MSU NAACP holds town hall with university leaders to discuss ongoing racial injustice

Students associated with MSU's chapter of NAACP encourage their peers to share their thoughts in a safe space. NAACP hosted a Town Hall meeting at Bessey Hall on Oct. 26 to discuss the recent racial incidents occurring on campus.

The MSU National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, or NAACP held a town hall meeting Thursday with university leaders to discuss recurring racial discrimination and safety issues on campus.

Members of the MSU Board of Trustees, administration and faculty, as well as staff in the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, Office of Civil Rights and Student Life and Engagement attended. 

The town hall was organized in response to recent instances of racism on campus, which the two groups protested in a walk out on Oct 20

The MSU NAACP executive board opened the meeting with introductions. Social work senior Missy Chola began the open floor discussion by describing her experiences at MSU as an international student

During her speech, Chola asked the administration a rhetorical question on whether MSU cares about their international Black students when recruiting them to their institution

“Do you (administration) ask yourself if you are able to protect us to the best of your ability, or do you only care about the money international students bring to this school?” Chola said. 

Chola then expressed the difficulty with being away from home and experiencing discrimination in an environment she should be able to call “home."

Chola said that students shouldn’t have to worry about whether they will be targeted by their white counterparts in an educational environment. She also said students shouldn’t have to skip their expensive classes to protest because they aren’t being heard by leaders of the school

“We shouldn’t have to constantly ask to be protected when MSU are the ones who brought us here behind the foundation of a lie that you would protect us,” Chola said. 

Echoing the student speakers at last week's protest, Chola then pointed out that the new multicultural building doesn't have a space for multiracial students groups. Chola said this is one of the examples of the administration overlooking their students of color

As students allowed the attendees to speak about any concerns and comments, Senior Vice President of Student Life and Engagement Vennie Gore said he attended the meeting to be more responsive to the issues that the Black community is looking for. 

“When I hear your voices and stories, it helps me think about how we respond,” Gore said to the students. “I’m really interested in understanding the physical and psychological safety that our community is looking for.”

Trustee Dennis Denno said that he wasn't aware of the issues MSU's Black student body is currently facing. He also said he learned a lot during the meeting

“I’m willing to learn and listen and try to help,” Denno said.

Denno then expressed that he also has issues with administration and wishes they would listen to him regarding his concerns

As Denno choked through his tears, he communicated his feelings about the Board of Trustees’ intentions to vote off board chair Rema Vassar from her position following allegations that she has participated in unethical behavior. He said he also came to support Vassar through the process period

“I learned something from (Vassar) every single time,” Denno said. “She earned her spot on this board … and I will stand by her. These are the same forces who are working against your goals are working against her, and it’s wrong.” 

The discussion about supporting Vassar stemmed from Chola’s speech about the administration. Chola said she wanted to acknowledge the fact that Vassar is the first Black woman to serve as board chair, and she shows her support for Black students

“Regardless of the backlash she may face from those around her who have no clue of what it is like to wake up as a Black person,” Chola said. “The board's actions are not the actions of one person.“ 

Vassar, who was also in attendance, responded to Chola's comments

"Thank you for your kindness," Vassar said. "I appreciate you. I needed to see all of this beautiful melanin and feel your strength and transmit it into me." 

"It's been rough, but we are strong people and you (students) are voicing who you are and who you demand to be on this campus fortifies me," Vassar said. "I just need you to be as beautiful and bold and Black and brilliant as you are so that I can continue to do the same thing." 

img-2062

As more faculty members voiced their frustrations and words of encouragement for students, Psychology Professor Lee June informed the student groups that they are gaining support from organizations outside the university such as the Lansing Branch of NAACP, which he is a member of. 

June said the administration needs to work with students and have long-term strategies to end the racial issues on campus. As the meeting came to an end, June said students and administration should have another meeting to discuss clear-cut solutions

He then encouraged all faculty members to introduce themselves so students can know who to approach with any concerns

“We can make a pledge to you, and we are going to figure out a way to work with you to make things better,” June said.

Share and discuss “MSU NAACP holds town hall with university leaders to discuss ongoing racial injustice ” on social media.