MSU football held scoreless in worst home loss ever to No. 2 Wolverines

<p>Redshirt freshman quarterback Katin Houser (12) preparing to throw the ball during a game against University of Michigan at Spartan Stadium on Oct. 21, 2023.</p>

Redshirt freshman quarterback Katin Houser (12) preparing to throw the ball during a game against University of Michigan at Spartan Stadium on Oct. 21, 2023.

Michigan State football (2-5) could not muster a single point against Michigan, while the second ranked team in the nation scored seven touchdowns en route to a 49-0 win in the rivalry’s first game under the lights at Spartan Stadium. The margin marks the largest deficit in program history.

U-M started the game off with a 12-play, 84-yard drive, marching all the way down the field until the Wolverines capped off their six minute possession with a one yard rushing touchdown from senior running back Blake Corum.

MSU and redshirt freshman quarterback Katin Houser were able to get the ball moving on the first drive in his second ever start, dumping it off to redshirt sophomore running back Nathan Carter who got close to the first down marker, but couldn’t convert on a fourth and short run to give the ball back to the Wolverines at midfield.

Michigan picked up where they left off on the previous drive, as junior quarterback J.J. McCarthy found senior wide receiver Roman Wilson for a 25-yard score to increase Michigan's lead to two touchdowns as the first quarter wound down. 

Michigan State’s offense did not find much success throughout the rest of the first period and most of the second quarter, going three and out on three straight drives.

Sophomore tight end Colston Loveland made a big impact in the second quarter for Michigan, being on the receiving end of two 22-yard touchdown passes to extend the U-M lead to 28 as the first half clock dwindled down. 

Houser and MSU managed to get a first down on a catch and run from redshirt senior back Jaren Mangham, but ended up giving the ball right back to the Wolverines for a chance to score before the end of the first 30 minute period. 

McCarthy led his team all the way to the red zone on the ensuing drive, but a false start from junior back Donovan Edwards caused a 10 second run-off to ultimately end their drive and the half. 

After a promising couple of plays to start the second half, the Spartans went for it on fourth down in Michigan territory, but Houser and his receiver were not on the same page as he threw it right into the pocket of Michigan graduate student defensive back Mike Sainristil. The former receiver took the interception all the way to the end zone for a touchdown to make the score 35-0. To add insult to injury, redshirt senior offensive lineman Spencer Brown was kicked out of the game for a hit he made on the return.

After another MSU three and out, the Spartan defense gave up 45 yards on three consecutive penalties, allowing an easy 11-yard touchdown pass to senior tight end AJ Barner to bring the lead to 42. 

Freshman quarterback Sam Leavitt got his first look on the field as the fourth quarter progressed, making some nice throws and scrambles, but could not get MSU on the scoreboard on his first or second drive, capping off his night with an interception thrown to junior defensive back Ja’Den McBurrows. 

As time winded down, sophomore quarterback Alex Orji scrambled to find the end zone, ultimately sealing the game 49-0 in favor of the Wolverines. 

Share and discuss “MSU football held scoreless in worst home loss ever to No. 2 Wolverines” on social media.