Sunday, April 28, 2024

Faith and Football: Jonathan Kim strives to use his success on the field to spread the message of God

<p>Red Shirt Senior Jonathan Kim (97) on the sideline during MSU's game against University of Michigan at Spartan Stadium on Oct. 21, 2023.</p>

Red Shirt Senior Jonathan Kim (97) on the sideline during MSU's game against University of Michigan at Spartan Stadium on Oct. 21, 2023.

Just over a year ago, redshirt senior kicker Jonathan Kim was uncertain where he wanted to play football. Now in 2023, he is setting records with his leg

After playing four years of varsity football and earning all-state honors at Massaponax High School, Jonathan Kim earned himself a scholarship to play football at the next level

The University of North Carolina welcomed Kim with open arms and room to grow as a player in 2019. He made seven appearances as a kicker during the year and went 2-2 on extra point attempts to begin his career. During Kim’s sophomore and junior seasons, he served as the kickoff specialist and played in all 25 games across the two campaigns

Kim’s senior season was different, however. He was still serving as a kickoff specialist but wanted to see action as a kicker. Kim played in four games and decided to redshirt for his junior season. On Sept. 26, 2022, Kim officially entered his name into the transfer portal

A scholarship offer was received from Michigan State University with an additional extension from Alabama while time was spent away from the program. The Crimson Tide weren’t guaranteeing an offer, which put uncertainty in Kim’s head.

When it was time to make a commitment in Dec. of that year, Kim put trust into himself to make the decision that was best for him. However, Kim said he wasn’t the one that made the choice of where to transfer to

“I mean, God did it,” Kim said. “It was all faith related. So, I told all my coaches that where I’m going to go is dependent on how I can grow and spread my faith.”

The answer that God gave was Michigan State and Kim knew it was where he had to be. The night before his official visit to Alabama, he prayed that if Michigan State was the right choice, then he wanted God to make Alabama’s situation fall through. On the drive home from Kim’s visit the next day, The Crimson Tide called back explaining they didn’t feel they had room for a scholarship offer. To Kim, this was God’s way of telling him that MSU was where he needed to be

Following the conclusion of the 2022 season, Kim got right to work for his senior season. He competed for the starting kicker position throughout the off-season, and eventually earned the title prior to week one’s contest against Central Michigan

Against the Chippewas, Kim went 3-3 on PAT’s and even added a 47-yard field goal. The very next week versus Richmond, he topped his career long kick with a 52 yarder that bounced off the crossbar and through the uprights. It had seemed that MSU had truly found a kicker that can provide everything they needed and more on special teams.

The fun didn’t stop there either. In the first road test of the year against Iowa in front of a sold-out crowd, the Spartans needed a spark before halftime to build momentum. Interim head coach Harlon Barnett sent Kim out to line up for a 58-yard field goal try down 10-6. Kim drove the ball with power as time expired, and the ball cleared the uprights with a few yards to spare

The kick marked a record for the longest field goal in Kinnick Stadium history and was also the longest Spartan kick since Ralf Mojsiejenko booted one 59 yards in 1983

Rather than giving credit to himself however, there was only one person Kim had to thank once again for his accomplishments on the field.

“I mean it was really cool,” Kim said. “But it’s just a testament to how great God is. You Know, kicking into the wind, it wasn’t like a super strong wind, but there was a breeze in my face. And so, it just shows that you know, our God is incredible. He gave me the strength in order to do that. And he knew that I would use that as a way to spread his name.”

With moments like these, it is an assuring confirmation for Kim that God answered the prayers he put forth

Kim's goal is to spread his message the best way he can to set an example for those following his path. He said that everything he has done is defined by being a follower of Christ and if he can spread his ideology little by little, he is most certainly fulfilling God’s challenge for him on this earth

"I want to do well on the field so that I can get opportunities to be interviewed,” Kim said. “Just watching me on the field you know, people aren’t going to see my life with Christ, and I’m not going to be able to proclaim how great his kingdom is and how great of a God he is. So, I work for the kingdom in order to get interviews so that I can proclaim how great he is. So, I mean, my motivation is for him so that I can do the best in order to spread his name and his glory.”

Share and discuss “Faith and Football: Jonathan Kim strives to use his success on the field to spread the message of God” on social media.