Monday, May 6, 2024

Best off-campus housing options, according to MSU students

As students, specifically sophomores, settle into the new school year, they have to find and sign their leases for off-campus living next fall. It can be challenging for students with so many options and a narrow timeframe before someone beats them to a lease.

Some students live right behind Brody Neighborhood in 1855 Place and University Edge, in houses behind Grand River, in co-ops with two dozen other students or in a fraternity or sorority house.

Neuroscience junior Akarsha Kodali lives at Hannah Lofts, about a 15 minute walk to Holmes Hall on the east side of campus. This is her second year living at the apartment as she received an exemption from living in a dorm as a sophomore.

Kodali said she loves living at Hannah Lofts and just re-signed for next year — even in the same room.

Her townhome style apartment is a four-bedroom, four-and-a-half-bathroom apartment with three floors. The separated apartment has a unique layout, Kodali said, with the living room, kitchen and guest bathroom on the first floor and bedrooms on two other floors.

Although not all of Kodali's classes are at Holmes hall, so it can be a longer commute to the rest of campus. She recommends getting a car, taking the shuttle to campus or living with someone who has a car too.

Luckily, Kodali said, all her roommates have cars. 

"There’s a shuttle that will take you to the middle of the campus, but it’s always convenient to have a car because it’s near the East Neighborhood, and a lot of people don’t have classes in the East Neighborhood," Kodali said.

She said she enjoys Hannah Lofts' complex and its "super friendly" employees. The apartment complex also offer free food, such as popcorn or snow cones, at least twice a month. There's also amenities like a gym, study room, pool and hot tub, she said.

"Hannah Lofts was definitely the best and had the best price point," Kodali said.

Communicative sciences and disorder graduate student Kylie Breining lives in a three-bedroom, one-bathroom house with a fenced-in yard on the border of East Lansing and Lansing. Breining has lived there for 2 1/2 years and plans on living there for at least one more year. 

Breining said she loves her house because of the neighborhood and low cost of living. Combined with her roommates, they pay $1,500 in rent, including utilities and other fees. To her, it was the best deal for the price.

"It's in a quiet neighborhood of families and retired folk, so great community support," Breining said. "It's a great spot to be when there are festivals and such because we don’t get all the traffic and noise."

Breining's landlord has a personal connection to the house, which she said makes the living experience more enjoyable.

"We have a private landlord, so we are not through any management company, and it’s absolutely phenomenal," Breining said. "Our landlord actually lived in this house before she got married, and so she treats this house like her baby. So, anytime we have an issue, she is on it within 48 hours."

Nutritional sciences junior Maggie Cappiello lives in an apartment building off Division Street, about a five-minute walk from campus. 

Cappiello enjoys living right off campus because it's close enough for classes but still separate from the rest of campus

"I loved living on campus, but I enjoy having my own space, parking near where I actually live now and having a kitchen,” Cappiello said. 

The biggest adjustment Cappiello amde from a dorm to an apartment was budgeting for groceries and rent, among other expenses. The adjustment, Cappiello said, came after lacking a dining plan.

"The biggest thing I’ve noticed, which I think is so common, is just how expensive everything is," Cappiello said. "Like, I breathe, and I feel like I have to pay bills, and groceries are really expensive."

Luckily, Cappiello said, living right off campus gives close access to all the restaurants and eateries lining Grand River Avenue

Cappiello urges students to find housing that is near campus and accommodating to all the wants and needs, even if that means driving to class.

"I just think it really helps you integrate a little bit more, because after college you’re not going to be a student anymore," Cappiello said. "You’re just going to have to be living in that apartment, working that job, so I think it’s a good transition."

Share and discuss “Best off-campus housing options, according to MSU students” on social media.