Sunday, April 28, 2024

Tucker career timeline: From player to MSU coach, now under investigation

<p>Head Coach Mel Tucker encourages the team during warm-ups. The Spartans lost 29-7 to the Wolverines on Oct. 29, 2022.</p>

Head Coach Mel Tucker encourages the team during warm-ups. The Spartans lost 29-7 to the Wolverines on Oct. 29, 2022.

Michigan State football head coach Mel Tucker was hired on Wednesday, Feb. 12, 2020 from the University of Colorado Boulder by the Board of Trustees to take over Mark Dantonio’s 13 year stretch of head coach

Now having just begun his fourth season as MSU coach, a USA Today report was released uncovering an ongoing investigation of Tucker after he was accused of sexually harassing known sexual violence educator and rape survivor Brenda Tracy

Before jumping into his coaching career, Tucker played four years at the University of Wisconsin from 1990-1994. He lettered three times on the team as a cornerback and a safety during his career. The team was led to a 1993 Big Ten Championship and they defeated UCLA at the Rose Bowl as well

Tucker has been a coach at different facilities for over 27 years and is now getting ready to take on his fourth year as head coach for the Spartans

During his first two years as the Spartan coach, he went from a 2-5 conference record in 2020, to a majorly improved 7-2 record in 2021

In the season of 2021, the team under Tucker went on to defeat rival team the University of Michigan 37-33, as well as no. 12 ranked Pitt in the Peach Bowl

During the 2021 season, Mel Tucker was under circulated rumors of leaving the Spartans to become the head coach of Louisiana State University, but before the actions could be set in stone, a massive contract extension was offered to him. The 10-year, $95 million contract was not only a raise to him, but it also made him the second highest paid coach in college football at the time. His extension was approved in December of 2021

While the 2021 season brought excitement to the fan base, the team fell to a 5-7 record in 2022. The team not only struggled offensively, but also had the Big Ten’s worst rush defense. They also ended up losing starting quarterback Peyton Thorne and wide receiver Keon Coleman to the transfer portal, along with wide receiver Jayden Reed, who was drafted by the Green Bay Packers.

After the Spartans took their second win of the season against Richmond, securing a 2-0 record, reports were released about a Title IX investigation involving Tucker.

Tracy, a rape survivor and advocate, visited the football team in August 2021 and April 2022 to speak to them about consent and sexual violence. She claims Tucker made unwanted sexual advances toward her in a phone call.  

Share and discuss “Tucker career timeline: From player to MSU coach, now under investigation” on social media.