MSU women's soccer is climbing up the rankings after win over Wisconsin

<p>Junior forward Jordyn Wickes (12) and freshman forward/midfielder Bella Najera (23) celebrate the goal Bella made during a game against Ohio State University at DeMartin Soccer Complex on Sept. 17, 2023.</p>

Junior forward Jordyn Wickes (12) and freshman forward/midfielder Bella Najera (23) celebrate the goal Bella made during a game against Ohio State University at DeMartin Soccer Complex on Sept. 17, 2023.

The Michigan State Women’s Soccer team has climbed up the rankings and has found itself at No. 23 in the Top Drawer National Rankings, thanks to a strong start to the season. This is MSU’s first time being ranked this year after climbing the rankings last year all the way to No. 6 before finishing the season at No. 15. 

The team's latest win over the Wisconsin Badgers was a historical one as the Spartans bested the Badgers at McClimon Soccer Complex, for the first time since 1999

The victory comes thanks to an early score by freshman Bella Najera—which would turn out to be the securing goal for the Spartans as they took the match with a final score of 1-0. 

The Spartans are currently 7-2-2 on the season and remain undefeated within the Big Ten with a record of 2-0-1. Besides the win over Wisconsin, the team also defeated Big Ten opponent Minnesota (3-1). Out of conference, the Spartans have had some impressive wins against Bowling Green (3-1), Northern Colorado (7-0) and NC State (2-1).

There are many players to credit for the new national ranking, but two players who got bonus recognition this past week are sophomore midfielder Emerson Sargeant and Najera. Both were rewarded with Big Ten weekly honors this past week.

Sargeant was named Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week, her first career Big Ten weekly honor. The sophomore scored the opening goal in the team's 3-1 victory over Minnesota and was a big factor in their 1-0 win over Wisconsin as well, assisting on the game-winning goal

Sargeant ranks second on the team this season in points (10) and second in assists (4). She has also recorded a point in three of the team's last five games

Najera was named Big Ten Freshman of the Week for the second straight time this season becoming the first Spartan in program history to collect the award two weeks in a row. The freshman scored the game-winning goal against Wisconsin in their historic win, her fifth goal in seven games

Najera leads the team in points (11) and goals (5) this season. The freshman also ranks first among all freshman in the Big Ten in goals

The Spartans will hope to defend, or better yet, improve that ranking as they return home this week to face Maryland on Thursday, Sept. 28. They also will be hosting Penn State on Sunday, Oct. 1 on Big Ten Network

Share and discuss “MSU women's soccer is climbing up the rankings after win over Wisconsin ” on social media.