Claimant Brenda Tracy responds to Tucker's statement, accuses him of attempting to impede investigation

<p>Head Coach Mel Tucker before the game against Maryland on Nov. 13, 2021, at the Spartan Stadium.</p>

Head Coach Mel Tucker before the game against Maryland on Nov. 13, 2021, at the Spartan Stadium.

Brenda Tracy responded Monday night to a statement released by Mel Tucker’s attorney, accusing the MSU head football coach of delaying the university’s Title IX investigation. 

Tracy, a rape survivor and advocate, who formerly worked alongside Tucker to educate MSU football players on sexual misconduct, accused Tucker of non-consensually masturbating on camera during an April 2022 phone call in a USA Today article published Sunday morning. The article also revealed that Tucker was under investigation by MSU's Office of Institutional Equity. 

Later Sunday afternoon, Tucker was suspended without pay. Nearly 24 hours after that, Tucker's attorney, Jennifer Z. Belveal, released a statement in response to the allegations. 

In response to Tucker's statement, Tracy posted to the social media site X, formerly known as Twitter, saying Tucker utilized a tactic — deny, attack and reverse victim and offender — to discredit her claims. 

Tracy’s response states as follows:

“This is just more of the same DARVO, deflection, victim blaming and lies that I’ve been dealing with now for months. 

Coach Tucker has been delaying and trying to stop the investigative process since the beginning. He can’t afford to go to a hearing that determines credibility of the participating parties. I believe this statement is his way of getting out of participating in the hearing.

October 5th and 6th I will be present for the hearing and make myself available for cross examination by his attorney Jennifer Belveal. I invite him to do the same.”

Share and discuss “Claimant Brenda Tracy responds to Tucker's statement, accuses him of attempting to impede investigation” on social media.