MSU Hockey names Nienhuis captain

<p>Junior defender Nash Nienhuis (4) is about to pass the puck during a game against Notre Dame at Munn Ice Arena on Feb. 3, 2023. The Spartans defeated the Fighting Irish 3-0.</p>

Junior defender Nash Nienhuis (4) is about to pass the puck during a game against Notre Dame at Munn Ice Arena on Feb. 3, 2023. The Spartans defeated the Fighting Irish 3-0.

As the Michigan State Hockey team heads into their 2023-2024 season, Senior defenseman Nash Nienhuis has been named captain alongside three alternate captains.

“These four players embody what it means to be a Spartan,” Head Coach Adam Nightingale said in a press release.

Nienhuis is a veteran of 90 games, was an alternate captain his junior year, and is coming off his best career season with 2 goals and 14 assists—despite being out on injury for nine games. He earned several distinctions during last year's season including Academic All-Big Ten and College Sports Communicators Academic All-District honors.

Along with Nienhuis, 5th year forward Nicolas Müller will serve as one of the three alternate captains. The Switzerland native was the Spartan’s leading scorer last season, with nine goals and 25 assists. Müller was ranked 14th in the Big Ten in points per game and was also awarded Outstanding Offensive Player, Outstanding Senior, and the Spartan Shiel following the season.

Sophomore defenseman Matt Basgall was also named alternate captain Wednesday morning. Basgall played in every game last season as a first year, and was a key player on the Spartan power play, having had the third most points on the team during power plays. He had 17 points, four goals and 13 assists. The sophomore was tied in eighth place in the Big Ten for blocked shots and nationally ranked sixth for freshmen.

The third and final Spartan player to earn the alternate captain nod is sophomore forward Karsen Dorwart. Dorwart played in all 38 games, was second on the team in goals (10), third in points (27) and earned the Outstanding Rookie award at the end of his freshman season. Dorwart was another key piece on last year’s power play, having been the second leading sorcerer on the man advantage, and rounds out the leadership for this year's team.

“They are humble, hard-working guys who will continue the tradition of hard work in our program,” Nightingale said in a press release.

Share and discuss “MSU Hockey names Nienhuis captain” on social media.