Calling all Munnsters: Munn Ice Arena goal light up for auction

<p>Spartans lazily walk-skate away from the goal after the University of Michigan scored during the second period of the Duel in the D at Little Caesars Arena on Feb. 11, 2023. The Spartans fell to the Wolverines with a score of 4-3.</p>

Spartans lazily walk-skate away from the goal after the University of Michigan scored during the second period of the Duel in the D at Little Caesars Arena on Feb. 11, 2023. The Spartans fell to the Wolverines with a score of 4-3.

Calling all Munnsters and Spartan hockey fans. The MSU Surplus Store is back again with another hot item: the Munn Ice Arena goal lights.

Known for their wide variety of collectibles, the MSU Surplus Store recently auctioned off another iconic piece of MSU Athletics facilities in the Breslin Center scoreboard, which was a huge success according to the store’s operations manager Chris Hewitt

For anyone considering a bid on the goal lights, they are able to check them out for themselves.

“They are viewable in store,” Hewitt said.

The goal lights are from the brand Daktronics. They feature two rotating lights and a green clock light. Moreover, it’s wise to know the dimensions before purchasing: 30.5” wide, 8” in depth and 13” tall.

Before they were removed from the Munna Ice Arena, they were fully functional at every game

“There is special equipment needed to operate them but we were told they were operational when removed by the technician that dropped them off,” Chris said.

Like the Breslin Center scoreboard, Munn will have new and improved goal lights to replace the ones up for auction

The goal lights have a highest bid of $325 at the time of publishing, but bids are frequently driving the price higher. Interested buyers have five more days of exciting bidding wars to participate in, before they can call this piece of Spartan memorabilia their own. Bidding started Tuesday, Aug. 8, and is expected to end next Wednesday, Aug. 16, at 6pm EST. 

Additional information on the auction can be found on the Surplus Store's website.

Share and discuss “Calling all Munnsters: Munn Ice Arena goal light up for auction” on social media.