Takeaways from Mel Tucker’s 2023 Big Ten Media Day

<p>Michigan State Football returned to Spartan Stadium for the spring game on Saturday, April 16, 2022. Head Coach Mel Tucker continued to stress the team’s efforts to become a “player-led” team.</p>

Michigan State Football returned to Spartan Stadium for the spring game on Saturday, April 16, 2022. Head Coach Mel Tucker continued to stress the team’s efforts to become a “player-led” team.

Michigan State head football coach Mel Tucker took to the podium just before noon on the first day of Big Ten Media Days on Wednesday afternoon. During the 10-minute session, he discussed several topics surrounding the team, including potential redshirt junior starting quarterback Noah Kim, changes to the defense and more.

Tucker confident in Kim’s ability heading into the season

When former starting quarterback Payton Thorne decided to transfer after spring football, eyes immediately turned to Kim, who was seen as the second string behind Thorne. While redshirt sophomore Katin Houser is expected to make a run for the job, Tucker said that Kim’s experience from last year helps, mentioning that he made it look easy when he threw for 174 yards and three touchdowns in four games in 2022

“Noah is a tremendously talented young man, he's a winner,” Tucker said. “He's got a lot of arm talent. He's very poised. He's very athletic. He is in the top 20 fastest players on our team. He's just got the demeanor that we're looking for. He's a guy that knows our offense, and he's going to do what we ask him to do.”

Defense expected to be much bigger and deeper heading into 2023

While last year was marred by deflating injuries and suspensions, Michigan State’s defense is expected to be much more well rounded as the team welcomes in a number of talented transfers, the return of NFL talent redshirt senior Jacoby Windmon and a healthy redshirt junior linebacker/safety Darius Snow

“We're at full strength,” Tucker said. “We really addressed some issues with our front seven. We needed to get bigger. I think our front seven is more stout, which is going to help us stop the run and make things more one dimensional. And it's going to help us in the back end.”

Tucker has faith in current coaching staff to address injury bug 

MSU was one of the three times in the conference this offseason to not make a change at head coach, offensive coordinator or defensive coordinator. Tucker said that his staff has modified the way they practice over the offseason to ensure a healthier 2023.

“We changed how we hit, when we hit, how often we hit,” Tucker said. “We did a much better job of staying up and staying off the ground. The studies that we did about it with our team showed that when players are on the ground in practice, that's when they get hurt the most. And so we just modified the way we did some things in spring ball which really helped us be more productive. Keep guys more healthy, staying on the field, getting better and we're going to carry that in the fall camp. I think that's gonna be a huge benefit for us moving forward.” 

Tucker excited about move to Ford Field for Penn State showdown

While there has been criticism from multiple angles about moving the final home game of the season on Black Friday against Penn State to Detroit, Tucker said that there are a number of pros about the move, including a chance for a larger audience.

“It's gonna be a great game being in the Detroit area at a pro football arena and being in an area where we recruit,” Tucker said. “We have a lot of fans there. I think that it's a great opportunity.”

Northwestern hazing situation opening eyes in program

Following allegations about hazing practices in the Northwestern program over the summer, Tucker has made it a priority to educate his team on the situation as preseason camp kicks off in a week.

“Our culture is very strong and it starts with connection and authentic relationships and mutual respect,” Tucker said. “We do have an anti hazing policy at the university and on our football team. Our players know that. I've talked to our Athletic Director, Alan Haller. That's going to be one of the topics that we're going to cover when we report to camp.”

Redshirt senior offensive lineman J.D. Duplain, redshirt junior linebacker Cal Halady and redshirt senior wide receiver Tre Mosley are expected to be heard from today around 4 p.m. on Big Ten Network

Share and discuss “Takeaways from Mel Tucker’s 2023 Big Ten Media Day” on social media.