MSU to test emergency alert system tomorrow

Michigan State University Police Department on Thursday, April 6, 2023.

Michigan State University will conduct a full test of a new emergency notification system Friday at 10 a.m., according to a tweet from the university’s Department of Police and Public Safety.

Those on campus can expect audio alerts from GreenLight emergency phones and weather sirens; those in the bounds of Ingham County will get cell-phone notifications similar to Amber Alerts; students and staff will get email notifications; and anyone, regardless of location or affiliation, can get push notifications from the MSU SafeApp by downloading the application from the Apple App Store or Google Play and enabling notifications in settings.

The new methods of notification come after a February shooting on the university’s campus which left three students dead and severely injured five others, spurring demands for increased investments in campus safety.

Delayed, vague alerts left some students and faculty confused during the shooting and a second campus-wide lockdown in March, when a man brandished a knife at a business near campus.

In response to those concerns, MSU’s independent police department pledged to improve and develop new systems of clear communication.

Friday’s test will be the largest trial of the new system to date. Another test will be conducted at the start of the fall semester.

In addition to the new communication methods, the university has also been expanding physical security measures.

Shortly after the shooting, campus buildings began requiring ID cards for after-hours access. MSU is also currently in the process of installing thousands of door-locks to campus buildings.

Door locks became a subject of much debate after an audio recording obtained by Bridge Michigan showed faculty representatives raised concerns to the board and administration about the lack of locks in Berkey Hall, the building that housed much of the violence, five months before the shooting.

The lack of locks and the administration's failure to act on the warning about them, has been referenced in multiple intent-to-sue letters sent to MSU by injured survivors of the shooting and the families of those killed.

Share and discuss “MSU to test emergency alert system tomorrow” on social media.