Sunday, April 28, 2024

MSU, Michigan Tech, Van Andel Arena announce four-year Great Lakes Invitational deal

The MSU men's hockey team lift their sticks in the air to celebrate their victory over the University of Michigan at the end of the game at Munn Ice Arena on Dec. 9, 2022. The Spartans defeated the Wolverines 2-1.

In a press conference Thursday Morning, Van Andel Arena, Michigan State Hockey and Michigan Tech Hockey announced a four-year deal to keep the Great Lakes Invitational Tournament in Grand Rapids through 2026.

After 55 years in Detroit, the tournament took place in Grand Rapids for the first time in 2022.

"Van Andel Arena is excited to host the Great Lakes Invitational tournament for the next four years," ASM Global Regional General Manager for Van Andel Arena Richard MacKeigan said. "We hope to build on the success of last year's event to create an annual tradition for the Grand Rapids community and hockey fans from all over the state and the country."

Michigan Tech Vice President for Athletics & Recreation Suzanne Sanregret also announced the participating teams through the end of the deal with Van Andel, as well as the dates for the 2023 tournament.

The 57th annual GLI will take place at Van Andel from Dec. 28-29, 2023, with Michigan State, Michigan Tech, Ferris State and Alaska going head-to-head for the first time in GLI history.

The 2023 tournament will open with the Huskies taking on the Nanooks of Alaska followed by the Spartans vs. the Bulldogs.

Share and discuss “MSU, Michigan Tech, Van Andel Arena announce four-year Great Lakes Invitational deal” on social media.