Augustine, Štrbák picked up in second round of 2023 NHL Entry Draft

<p>MSU hockey fan waves the Spartan flag after MSU scores their second goal of the night (3-2) on Feb. 4, 2023.</p>

MSU hockey fan waves the Spartan flag after MSU scores their second goal of the night (3-2) on Feb. 4, 2023.

Two of Michigan State Hockey’s newest additions were picked up Thursday morning in the second round of the 2023 NHL Entry Draft.

Incoming freshman goalie Trey Augustine was the first Spartan off the board at No. 41, taken by his hometown team: the Detroit Red Wings.

“Being able to finally just get drafted, hear my name called, I mean it’s kinda what you’ve been dreaming of and working for almost your whole hockey career,” Augustine said. “That relief off my back is pretty nice.”

Augustine went into the draft as the third highest-ranked goaltender following a massive 30-1-2 season with the USNTDP where he had a .926 save percentage and an impressive 4-1 performance at the 2023 IIHF World Junior Championship where he maintained a .891 save percentage.

The South Lyon native was the third goalie chosen in the draft following Adam Gajan and Michael Hrabal.

Incoming freshman defenseman Maxim Štrbák was drafted just for picks after his fellow Spartan at No. 45 by the Buffalo Sabres.

“It’s just such an incredible feeling to finally get your name called,” Štrbák said. “I’m just proud to be a Buffalo Sabre now and just excited for the future. It’s been a very fun process with my whole family…It’s a dream come true.”

The crafty blueliner lead Slovakia's team at the U18 World Championships as captain where he logged six assists in seven games.

Both players will be heading to their respective team’s development camps over the weekend before reporting to East Lansing on July 5.

Share and discuss “Augustine, Štrbák picked up in second round of 2023 NHL Entry Draft ” on social media.