Wednesday, May 1, 2024

MSU board approves 7% rate increase for dorms, meal-plans

<p>Nina Medved moves in her daughter, Tierney Ordway, to Akers Hall during Fall 2022 Move-In on Thursday, Aug. 25, 2022 at Michigan State University.</p>

Nina Medved moves in her daughter, Tierney Ordway, to Akers Hall during Fall 2022 Move-In on Thursday, Aug. 25, 2022 at Michigan State University.

Michigan State University’s Board of Trustees approved a 7% increase in rates for residence halls and dining plans, arguing the hike was necessary to keep up with rising inflation.

The proposal notes that in seven of the last eight years, room and board rate increases were below 3%. It also argues that even with the increase, MSU’s room and board pricing will also remain “competitively positioned” with other Big Ten universities, remaining the third-lowest in the conference, Deputy University Spokesperson Dan Olsen said.

Current first-year students returning for a second year will not see a change in their rate, as the university's two-year on-campus living requirement sets rates two-years at a time, Olsen said.

“We understand the importance of keeping housing and dining rates affordable for our students, especially as the pressures of individual contribution to the cost of higher education continue to increase,” the proposal said. “This proposed rate increase attempts to strike a balance between affordability, enhanced services for our students and the continued renovation and required updates of our aging residence halls and apartment buildings.”

The hike will see rates for the standard double-room and silver dining-plan option at $11,754 for first-year students and $10,990 for second-year students.

The change will also include a 5% increase for 1855 Place and University Village Apartments, alongside a 3% increase for Spartan Village Apartments.

Share and discuss “MSU board approves 7% rate increase for dorms, meal-plans” on social media.