Saturday, May 4, 2024

Robyn Fralick announces new women's basketball staff

<p>New MSU head women's basketball coach Robyn Fralick speaking at the press conference held at the Breslin Center on, Apr. 4, 2023.</p>

New MSU head women's basketball coach Robyn Fralick speaking at the press conference held at the Breslin Center on, Apr. 4, 2023.

Head women’s basketball coach Robyn Fralick announced the addition of five new faces to the Spartan staff Thursday afternoon in a press release.

Four of the team’s newest additions join Michigan State from Bowling Green State University where Fralick coached previously for five seasons. The four new members joining Fralick in East Lansing include associate head coach Kim Cameron, assistant coach Maria Kasza, director of recruiting Joel Whymer and director of basketball operations Monique Rosati.

Rosati was a huge asset at Bowling Green, having held the director of basketball operations position for the past 16 years through three coaches.

Also joining the staff is former Minnesota assistant coach Marwan Miller. Miller is making his way to MSU after one season with the Golden Gophers. Before his time at Minnesota, Miller was an assistant coach for Ohio University for six seasons where the team held a 121-64 record and the 2015-16 MAC regular-season title.

Associate head coach Kim Cameron spent the past five seasons in the same position at BGSU, but prior to her time with Fralick and the Falcons, Cameron held a 181-53 record as head coach at Michigan Tech and, in 2011, became the first Division II coach in MTU history to lead a team to a national title game.

Cameron earned the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference Coach of the Year honors in 2011 and 2015 as well as the 2011 WBCA Midwest Region Coach of the Year.

Assistant coach Maria Kasza also spent some time at Michigan Tech with Cameron before her time at BGSU. During her five-year stint at MTU, Kasza helped the Huskies to two NCAA Division II Tournament appearances and a regular-season GLIAC championship in 2015.

At Bowling Green, director of recruiting Joel Whymer played an integral role in shaping the Falcons. After taking the director of recruiting position at BGSU, the Falcons made it to the postseason each of the three years Whymer held his position.

Although the majority of the new staff previously worked with Fralick at BGSU, the connections don’t stop there. Former MSU associate head coach and interim head coach Dean Lockwood will remain with the Spartans for his fifth season, now as the director of player development. Although Fralick and Lockwood have yet to coach together, the two are still mutually connected. When Fralick’s husband Tim was a college basketball player, Lockwood was his coach.

"My husband has always raved about how Coach Lockwood was so instrumental and transformational in his life," Fralick said in the release. "He is well respected and well regarded for his wisdom, work ethic and success, having been part of two national championship teams. One of my favorite things about Coach is the way he lights up when he is on the court and surrounded by student-athletes. We are very grateful to learn from Coach Lockwood every day and are excited for his incredible positive impact on the program.”

Share and discuss “Robyn Fralick announces new women's basketball staff” on social media.