3 ASMSU presidential candidates debate student issues

<p>Presidential candidates (left to right) Emily Hoyumpa, Zaaki Mandwee, and Shaurya Pandya, speaking at the ASMSU presidential debate, held at the Student Services Building on Apr. 17, 2023.</p>

Presidential candidates (left to right) Emily Hoyumpa, Zaaki Mandwee, and Shaurya Pandya, speaking at the ASMSU presidential debate, held at the Student Services Building on Apr. 17, 2023.

The Associated Students of MSU hosted its annual presidential debate at the Student Affairs and Services building last night. The candidates this year are social relations and policy seniors Emily Hoyumpa and Shaurya Pandya and pre-med junior Zaaki Mandwee.

This debate brought up a variety of issues affecting MSU’s campus and students, from tighter gun control to stronger connections between ASMSU officials and the student body.

Questions were submitted through a Google form that was open to the general assembly and each candidate had two minutes to answer a question.

Hoyumpa has been a member of ASMSU for the past two years.

As an Emerging Leader Program intern, she worked on strengthening relationships between certain colleges and ASMSU. This year, she serves as the ASMSU associate vice president of internal administration. 

She placed an emphasis on inclusivity in her debate. She also said being hands-on plays a large part in her leadership.

“Being inclusive, ensuring that those different backgrounds of the Spartans that you're all representing are included,” Hoyumpa said.

Mandwee previously served as a representative for the Lyman Briggs College.

He said he believes that regardless of how much experience someone has with ASMSU, the most important thing is for representatives to be involved with the university outside of the organization.

“Let's inform the students that go to this school about what is going on, about their student governments and how we can progress, to change it, to better it in a new direction,” Mandwee said. 

He said MSU’s student government is far behind and that they are not connected enough with their student population. He said students should know what ASMSU is and how their money is being used.

Pandya is currently a chair on the East Lansing City Commission, where he leads the commission in assisting with legislation pertaining to residency, public safety, affordable housing, and traffic control for students.

At ASMSU, he’s created legislation that was adopted by all student governments within Michigan.

Pandya said he was concerned that ASMSU doesn't collect data on what students want and that they lack a constituent services department for operations.

“One of the best ways that we can do this is to aggregate a position that handles those types of operations, even if they're limited, or the best operation is to create a student body president position that students can run for,” Pandya said.

Share and discuss “3 ASMSU presidential candidates debate student issues” on social media.