Saturday, May 4, 2024

MSU women’s basketball hires Robyn Fralick as next head coach

Robyn Fralick announced as next head coach of MSU women's basketball

Michigan State women’s basketball has announced the hiring of Bowling Green head coach Robyn Fralick. The announcement comes after former head coach Suzy Merchant stepped down from her position on March 13 due to health concerns

Fralick spent her last five years with the Falcons, leading them to three postseason appearances and an 88-73 record. Just last season, she matched Bowling Green’s and the Mid-American Conference record for the most wins in a single season with 31

She is also credited with one of the largest program turnarounds in the country as her team only managed to win ten games in 2020, while just the next year they won 11 more. She was rewarded with the MAC coach of the year that season for her work.

Fralick, an Okemos native, will be the sixth coach in MSU program history

"My family and I are so grateful for this new journey,” Fralick said in a press release. “It is an honor to return home to East Lansing to join the Spartan community.”

Athletic Director Alan Haller said that while Fralick is very familiar with the MSU community, members of other communities around the country respect her success.

“Although she grew up in our community and we couldn’t be more excited to bring her home, it’s important to note that she’s respected nationally,” Haller said in the press release. “That became evidently clear throughout this process during conversations with individuals throughout the women’s basketball community.”

Coach Fralick will be formally introduced at a press conference next week.

Share and discuss “MSU women’s basketball hires Robyn Fralick as next head coach” on social media.